Got bored

Looks awesome! Do you have any pictures of the build? if so, please post.

Very cool. I have plans for a 22lr Gattling gun that I have yet to start but still want to make it some day. Take a video when you shoot that and post it.

Will start with 80 grains of 3ff. Better than .5 inch of wall 4140 steel.
Could use smokeless, but I like the smoke pop of BP. Thanks for posting.
I would avoid any smokeless powder in a muzzleloader or cannon. Black powder substitutes are ok but smokeless propellent designed for cartridge's or shotgun shells are NOT a good idea.

Nice job fasturn. How deep did you drill the barrel? A 14” barrel with a .600 hole had to be challenging. I recently built a bp cannon with a 10” barrel 1.700 barrel and a 1” powder chamber. It was a challenge. I will post some pics on a different thread.

Maybe a video of your first shot? I'd really like that. Include a shot of any neighbors' faces? :D
HaHa....will be loud !! Will shoot in last chance canyon, CA. Will film it, so I will try to post it here. It's my British 6 pounder miniture gun lol.

I would avoid any smokeless powder in a muzzleloader or cannon. Black powder substitutes are ok but smokeless propellent designed for cartridge's or shotgun shells are NOT a good idea.
I probably will but their are BP shooters using smokeless with a 209 inline high quality barrels. Think about it a barrel is barrel if it will hold the copper unit pressure. 375 HH magnum holds the pressure. Most BP guns are made from cheap thin wall steel.
Then there is the nipple hole ??
Only a fool would load IMR 7828 in substitute of BP. The cannon is 4140 with a wall over .5 inch. Will proof it with 100 grains maximum. Long fuse for proofing !!! Thanks !

Nice job fasturn. How deep did you drill the barrel? A 14” barrel with a .600 hole had to be challenging. I recently built a bp cannon with a 10” barrel 1.700 barrel and a 1” powder chamber. It was a challenge. I will post some pics on a different thread.
Would love to see your work my friend. Get this, my lathe is a 8x16 Harborfreight. Had to drill it progressively with extensions. A little over 12" deep. Much to my surprise it was .007 TIR run-out at the bottom. I put a 1/2" piece of stock in the lathe. Slide the barrel over the stock. Then spin it by hand with a indicator on the OD.
Guess I got lucky .0035 off center line. Better to be lucky than smart. Used a adjustable carbide tipped reamer to creep up to the finished size. What a battle. Fun project for a retired machinist hey. Last big project was JWST.

Last edited:
Back