Got my new TouchDRO

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter Gold Member
And am excited. Its all about the final details and mounting. As usual I didn’t know enough to ask questions beforehand.

Great job on the new printed case Yuriy. Talk about a precise fit. I’ve got a new Android tablet to use and have found a good mount for it. Now the final detail is the power supply. I get with the igaging setup I should use a transformer style wall wart, but is there any you specifically recommend? None of my local places seem to have one and Amazon has a couple but they are all of the universal type with with several ends and two usb but don’t say what exactly they are. And reviews seem sketchy.

Tony,
Glad you like it. I'm new to 3D printing, but the Prisa Mk3 seems to be pretty "idiot-proof" :)
you generally can use a standard phone charger with the pre-made boards. New scales are much more stable than the first few revisions (I suspect iGaging had to beef up the circuit a bit once they came up with their "Data Dongle"). The board has a more robust power supply and noise handling than a bare LaunchPad too.
Thank you
Yuriy

P.S. I thought I replied to your email a few days regarding the power supply? Did I forget to click the "Send" button?

Thanks for the info. I don’t think I was the guy about the power supply, or atleast I can’t find where I asked about it. :p

My wonderful SO decided she‘d upgrade our phones and thought she got an Android tablet for free in the deal so gave it to my daughter. She doesn’t use it so I’m grabbing it for the TouchDRO. I think it will be much easier to see and maybe help me navigate this new world of increased functionality, maybe.

The tablet said it needed an update to the OS and I ran it. And on the last reboot of the TouchDRO there was a pop up about it was for older versions of the OS and to get hold of the developer. Another induced glitch by Android?

Last edited:
The air has been so bad with smoke in a killer fog I’ve not been in the shop for the last 3 days. Got a little break in the weather this afternoon.

I finally got a chance to mess with the tablet and configure it. I also watched the BluDro guy on YouTube and dl’d his manual. That came in very handy when I went to calibrate the scales. Everything seems to load up and work with the little spare funky charger and the scales plugged in.

This is probably no big deal to all you electronics wizzes but I’ve been watching folks talk about this for over a year. And I’m glad it’s something I don’t have to get in over my head to use. Now to finalize the install when the tablet mount shows up and do a final test, then a real project. And keep working on learning all the functions.

Looking forward to pics, I think this may be how I go with the new lathe.

John

Yeah, how did this turn out?

The install was a breeze as I already had the igaging scales etc installed. So it was just sticking some Velcro to the back of the mill column base and adapting a piece I had with some 1” pipe that my Hercules pad to mic stand clamp to mount the Android pad I’m using.

I love the TouchDRO interface but I was having some kind glitch where it would flash these big numbers on different axis then go back to what if was doing. But once the big number stayed totally messing with me. I’m not sure but I think it was the wall wort I was using. I tried a big aux battery made for phones and pads I have and forgotten I had just for a test and it seemed better. But I have yet to do a big project on the mill to really put it to the test. I hope this fixes it because I really like the interface etc. I can use the big aux battery as I don’t mind that.

Attachments

• 6EB3A4A8-2745-4276-BF97-BFF61AEC469B.jpeg
    6EB3A4A8-2745-4276-BF97-BFF61AEC469B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 186
  • 4CA9BA40-9A5D-4D92-B92D-531313B960C9.jpeg
    4CA9BA40-9A5D-4D92-B92D-531313B960C9.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 180
One more question: Do you have a hoist for that rotary table, or are you just unnaturally strong?

What, that little thing? I just use one hand....NOT.

Yeah, the first time years ago I made the mistake of wrestling that onto the table and tore a bicep. In my much younger days I did such things but I have to be smarter now. I have a 1tn chain hoist in the rafters and the table the mill drill is on has castors. Way easy now.

Back