Grinder Wheels

In my experience the bore in those grind wheels is not very accurate. It is probably not a good idea to rely on it and the bushing to align the wheel. A snug fitting bushing is not necessarily desirable. The side stabilizer plates (or back plates) are all important to hold the wheel perpendicular to the shaft and reduce wobble. On one of my grinders it was the poor quality of the nut that was forcing the plate askew.

With a new wheel mounted and held with low tension on the side plates, I would turn it by hand to see how round the wheel is. Sometimes, the wheel can be tapped lightly on the circumference with a wood dowel to reduce run out. Some play in the bushing can be of help here. After that, and tightening the nut, the wheel needs to be dressed to get zero run out on the grinding surface.

Toz has a good point. I got a nice US made 10" x 1" wheel for my big grinder, and with the supplied plastic bushings the wheel was all over the place. I ended up making a close fitting plastic plug, then I carefully chucked up the wheel (with the plugged center hole) in the lathe - 4 jaw. I drilled and then bored the hole in the plastic plug. The result was very satisfactory. The amount of dressing of the wheel was minimal. The grinder runs nice and smooth now.

This is a friendly reminder.

We can agree to disagree without being disagreeable.
No one wants to feel attacked or beaten up upon.
I'm not saying that this occurred. I am reminding everyone that we take civility seriously on this forum.
Sometimes, the moderators have to make a tough call.
They do the best they can.

Back to machining.... :aok:

Back