Grizzly G0704 spindle break in

USAF7483

Registered
Registered
I was doing my spindle break in on my Grizzly G0704, I did the steps as required ,10 min. at 600 rpm, 10 min 1000 rpm, then started 10 min at 2200. When I got over 2100 rpm I noticed a rumble or growl that would go away below 2100 rpm. I pulled the cover on the motor to check that motor was securely mounted.I made shure that everything was tight on the draw bar also. Could this be a bearing issue in the motor? Thanks

It sounds like a bearing that is to tight if it is it would be better to replace it to be on the safe side.. Ray

It sounds like a bearing that is to tight if it is it would be better to replace it to be on the safe side.. Ray
Thanks Ray, Would that require me to send the motor back or try a bearing swap myself, . I have been considering the upgrade option on spindlebearings and bigger motor to get up to 5000 rpm range for aluminum.appreciate your input.

I have had real good response from grizzly I had the circuit board in my mill go bad and they sent a new one out no questions asked and I did not have to send in the old one your case may vary but that sounds like a dry or over tight bearing give the tech support a call have the invoice and model number ready. There tech support number is:

1-570-546-9663

Good luck to you.. Ray

Grizzly has had several products with the name 0704. One was a mill/drill and another was a small cnc-like lathe. Which one do you have? Anyhow, does Grizzly actually sell an upgrade package to convert the spindle and get up to 5000 RPMs? Wow...

BTW: 5000 RPMs is serious business. If this is a lathe, I hope you have dynamically balanced chucks rated for that. Also, for turning aluminum in the home-shop environment (or any other environmnet for that matter) I've been able to do everything at speeds well below what high gear can do with outstanding finish and removal rates. If you're getting poor finishes, try using coated inserts if you're using carbide and/or sharp HSS. Whatever cutting tool you use, spray with WD-40 and you'll see a day/night difference in finish. This is true for both milling and lathe work. What diameter parts are you making?

My mill stops-out at just below 2000 RPM and even with small endmills, it works on aluminum like a charm.

Thanks Ray, Would that require me to send the motor back or try a bearing swap myself, . I have been considering the upgrade option on spindlebearings and bigger motor to get up to 5000 rpm range for aluminum.appreciate your input.

I've found that most times bearing noise and vibration increase as the speed increases. The noise only occurring above 2100rpm suggests that it is smething other than bearings. This noise could be a characteristic of the machine. Another 704 owner or Grizz tech support may be able to advise. After talking to Grizzly, if you wanted to isolate the area the noise was coming from you could remove the motor so it no longer drives the spindle gears, secure it so it does not move and run it "uncoupled" at different speeds. If you still hear the noise it is motor related, if not it could be from the gears or the spindle bearings.

This machine would have to be pretty noisey for me to want to take it apart.

I recently purchased a Grizzly 720R Mill. At all speeds it makes an intermitent rumbling noise that increases in intensity as the speed increases. I think it is normal noise from the gears.

Mikail

I have had real good response from grizzly I had the circuit board in my mill go bad and they sent a new one out no questions asked and I did not have to send in the old one your case may vary but that sounds like a dry or over tight bearing give the tech support a call have the invoice and model number ready. There tech support number is:

1-570-546-9663

Good luck to you.. Ray
Thanks again Ray, I just got this within the week so I will give Tech support a call

I think he maybe talking about the mill since the directions here: http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0704_m.pdf support his description of break in. 5000 RPM does seem a bit extreme depending on use. Ray
I was intrigued with the upgrades hossboss @ G0704.com did on the spindle bearing upgrade that tolerate the higher speeds for smaller bits,That and the additional power from a 1.5 horse motor. I have a lot to learn with this machine so I will hold off for a year or so before I proceed. The wife was a real sport letting me spend this much. Don't want to push my luck:phew:

I've found that most times bearing noise and vibration increase as the speed increases. The noise only occurring above 2100rpm suggests that it is smething other than bearings. This noise could be a characteristic of the machine. Another 704 owner or Grizz tech support may be able to advise. After talking to Grizzly, if you wanted to isolate the area the noise was coming from you could remove the motor so it no longer drives the spindle gears, secure it so it does not move and run it "uncoupled" at different speeds. If you still hear the noise it is motor related, if not it could be from the gears or the spindle bearings.

This machine would have to be pretty noisey for me to want to take it apart.

I recently purchased a Grizzly 720R Mill. At all speeds it makes an intermitent rumbling noise that increases in intensity as the speed increases. I think it is normal noise from the gears.

Mikail
Thanks for the response, The noise is kind of a growl that starts abruptly after 2100 rpm then grows a little louder as I increase to 2230 the sound will go away when I go down to 2150 then smooths out at 2100 , I agree that it might be the machines point where it hits just the right resonance.I figured I'd better be safe than sorry being a newbie with a substantial investment. Thanks Mikail

Back