Hardinge 5c Speed Chuck

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm thinking of upgrading to a Hardinge 5c speed chuck for my jet lathe. It has a D1-4 mount and has a cheap 5c closer on it. It does not run concentric. It's a direct mount and other than grinding the taper I see now way of getting it to run concentric.

I've never used a speed chuck before. I do see one draw back for it, I don't have a foot brake to stop the spindle to lock the chuck to tighten and loosen it. I usually just shift it to low if I need to lock the spindle.

There are a couple of them on ebay. Any drawbacks to using one that I'm not aware of?

They are nice . Only drawback is its limited to 5C diameters . Another choice would be a Jacobs flex chuck which allows for larger stock .

that's a good price. at the cabin fever auction a hardinge speed chuck w/ 1.5-8 tpi went for over $500, which I thought was way too high.
Can you add a brake like I did. I used a bicycle disc brake.

I have the rubber and 5C they hammer closed and open and I do not need to brake the spindle to use it.

that's a good price. at the cabin fever auction a hardinge speed chuck w/ 1.5-8 tpi went for over $500,
The Jacobs flex collet chuck and full set of collets did not sell . They were listed for $300 or $250 . I was eyeballing them for @keeena as he was looking for a D1-5 mount set . He was a little late getting back to me but that wasn't a bad price at all .

I've read all your replies and I would love to have a collet chuck with a larger diameter capacity. There is even a jacobs flex collet chuck on ebay that is a d1-4 mount. It looks kinda rough. though. https://www.ebay.com/itm/225967708432?hash=item349cb99910:g:OlsAAOSwzgtki603

But there is one reason I need either a 5c or even better would be a 16c chuck. I have a plastic speedometer gear I modify for several of my transmission conversions. I use a 5c clutch collet and machine it to grip the gear on the outside diameter and machine the inside out to work on 3 different transmissions. (see pics) This gear is a critical part of my conversions and I see how I'd hold it in a flex collet.

I'd love to have one that is 16c as I have many 16c collets that I use on my turning center. But I don't think anyone makes one.

Edit: Actually someone does. But for me $1850 is just too much. https://allindustrial.com/pratt-bur...82558307670047&utm_content=Shopping Catch All

The entire reason I'm considering a different chuck is concentricity. The chuck I have now runs out so I figured ok, just put a new collet in and machine it out and it would run true. I rarely ever pull the chuck off and when I do I put it back on in the same position on the spindle so I figured this would work. It did until I swapped it out for a different collet then put the one back in and it runs off again. I'm not sure if it's the type of collet I'm using or the chuck, but if the chuck runs out then hard to get the collet to run true I'm guessing.

Ed ke6bnl

Thanks for posting. Good to know I won't need a brake or back gear to close the chuck.

20240129_092707.jpg20240129_093001.jpg

Last edited:
Back