Harvey Butterfly Die Filer Rebuild

George - can you post a link to a motor and controller you'd recommend? Thanks.

Its been a little while since I made an update. This thing was extremely dirty, nasty and full of filings. So it took quite a while to get all the parts cleaned stripped, prepped and painted. I decided to go with a hammered black/dark gray color. Its going back together now. Next I'm working to adapt the new motor to it. This motor has a 1/2" shaft rather than 5/8", so I ordered a sleeve adapter for the pulley. I also need to rework the belt guard mounting. Then the switch and wiring. Overall, its coming along well.

Bf2_zpsugd43l2e.jpg

Bf1_zpsenmoawlr.jpg

Bf3_zpsi9b6hoyn.jpg

Hey Steve,

One question:
Where are you sourcing the files?
I use my old Delta scroll saw as a filer and I am always looking for good file sources.......

Thanks,
-brino

Brino - I have 3 files right now. As you know, they are scarce. I see them occasionally on ebay but wanted to make sure the machine came out good before spending big bucks on more files. I may try using hand files by cutting off the tang, then grinding the other end to fit the chuck. I saw a discussion about doing this somewhere. I'm still learning!

Nice job! What's the little brass valve in the oil hole do?

John

That valve is on the fill level hole. I open the valve, then remove the plug above it and fill with oil until it runs out the drain valve into a catch bowl. It's not really necessary. It just keeps oil from running down the side of the machine.

Back
Top Bottom