Has anyone installed Clough42's electronic leadscrew on a PM machine?

The backlash setting in the firmware would be useful if the servo or stepper hunts when it has control signal but not when it doesn't have control signal. That servo can "hum" at higher stiffness due to feedback through its internal motor shaft position sensor, even with no control signals connected.

If it "hums" only when signal is connected, then the backlash setting in firmware may help.

If it "hums" regardless of whether signal is connected, then the servo setting for stiffness is the way to address the problem.

For those using an open loop actual stepper instead of a servo or closed-loop stepper, if it hums, the backlash setting should help.

The backlash setting in the firmware would be useful if the servo or stepper hunts when it has control signal but not when it doesn't have control signal. That servo can "hum" at higher stiffness due to feedback through its internal motor shaft position sensor, even with no control signals connected.

If it "hums" only when signal is connected, then the backlash setting in firmware may help.

If it "hums" regardless of whether signal is connected, then the servo setting for stiffness is the way to address the problem.

For those using an open loop actual stepper instead of a servo or closed-loop stepper, if it hums, the backlash setting should help.
Yep. I just determined that experimentally. Using code with that backlash setting didn't make any difference when the servo was sitting still. I just set my stiffness to nine (9) and it is a bit quieter.

Back