Have You Used A Taper Attachment?

My Clausing 5418 doesn't have a TA, my Rockwell 10" has a telescoping taper attachment. I prefer using the Clausing over the Rockwell in general. I collect Erector sets and occasionally make reproduction wooden handled shift knobs for sets. Looks like a 7/8" long baseball bat made from a 5/16" dowel. Pretty much the only thing I use the Rockwell lathe for, really nice to set the 3 degree angle and turn away. It's a lot easier for me to turn the longitudinal feed wheel on the Rockwell than the compound handle on the Clausing.

Not a "gotta have" accessory but sure is nice if you need one! I plan on making one for my Clausing at some point. Probably won't use it much, but it's another excuse to head to my shop.

Used to make a lot of food processing equipment. Crowned a bunch of conveyor head rolls on the ol' LeBlond with TA. Those sorts of jobs have tapered off...

I guess scence I make boat shafts every day couldn't be with out one.

I use mine semi-frequently. My mill has a 2MT spindle, so it's easy to make something that fits. Also accessories for the lathe tailstock (2MT again). I made a little micrometer attachment for the taper jig, so I can just dial in the taper & cut it without any fiddling.

When I purchased my Acer E-Lathe, I ordered the taper attachment. Have used it one time in two years. Yesterday I decided to remove it, clean it up and store it.

Taper attachment in a home shop--not so much. In a general shop won't leave home with out one. Taper fits on couplings and shafts. It all depends on the work you do. A taper attachment- when you need one, you need one.

Yes
I use a few times and I had since 1972 new
I had on 4 lathes

Dave

Bob, maybe you should let me store your Acer TA on my lathe. I'd keep the rust off it. ;)

Wouldn't have to cut all my tool joints on the old Monarch that way.

Bob, maybe you should let me store your Acer TA on my lathe. I'd keep the rust off it. ;)

Wouldn't have to cut all my tool joints on the old Monarch that way.

Tony, I doubt if the TA on my 14X40 would fit on your Acer. Ha Ha.

I imagine you're right. Mine is a Dynamic 17 x 60. I am thinking that they changed the casting significantly between the 14 and the 17" series. I'm still kicking myself for not ordering it with a TA. Was watching the budget a little too closely at the time. Paid cash for it rather than taking financing, so pennies counted.

Back