Head lift/drop crank stuck on Rong Fu RF-20. Any ideas?

Is this mill new to you and stuck from the beginning or was it working and then it got stuck?
I inherited it from my grandfather. It moved upwards (albeit with some difficulty) and then won't move anywhere now from its current position.

Can you rotate it side to side?

If it was mine I think I would start by trying to get some light oil between the column and head. Oil like 3-In-1 or 5W-20 would be thin enough, I think. If it’s cold, gently heating with an electric heat gun or even putting a high wattage light near it for a few hours might help. Make sure that it’s not just stuck due to thickened oil/grease before taking anything apart. That it moved with difficulty is an indicator of dried lubricant.

Loosen clamp bolts on the head that keeps the head from moving. This will let the head move.

Ah, I forgot to respond! Yes, I loosened the head bolts. It still wouldn't move up, but down was now possible. There was some rust - I cleaned it off, and then oiled the column and the rack.

I then moved the head all the way up, cleaned off the bottom part of the column, and oiled it. Everything moves so smoothly, it makes it feel like the head weighs practically nothing now!

Thanks so much for everyone's help! Hopefully someone new who inherits this machine finds this thread someday and realizes that, while the instinct to not touch the big bolts on something you know is heavy is probably smart - in this case, it's exactly what you should do!

Based on what can be seen in your pics and your current issue, I think it would still benefit you to tear the machine apart and clean/lubricate everything, maybe replace worn hardware etc. Now that your head moves freely, you have more options on ways to support it for disassembly.

I originally wanted an RF mill primarily for how long these machines seem to last but like anything you gotta take care of them.

Back