Headstock -leveling- ?

My ways are dead nuts level the whole way across.

What you are seeing could indicate a slight twist in your bed. How did you measure "dead nuts" on your ways? I doubt that it is the tool, because tool pressure would make the open end larger than the chuck end.

What you are seeing could indicate a slight twist in your bed. How did you measure "dead nuts" on your ways? I doubt that it is the tool, because tool pressure would make the open end larger than the chuck end.
Good catch...I know better but was thinking backwards.

Machinist level, typical leveling method... I have some other test bars in the mail. I will take some tests tomorrow with large aluminum round. Much less cutting pressure, and less weight dangling out of the headstock.

For what it's worth, the primary purpose of this lathe is for chambering rifle barrels, so getting the headstock aligned perfectly is more important than the typical "move stuff around to remove taper" - and why I'm not using the tailstock...

Having said all of that... I'm going down the rabbit hole to determine if there's any headstock "nod" up or down.

Have you verified the cross slide gib is adjusted and the backlash is taken out of the screw? I've found that either of those can influence a cut a few tenths. Dave

My have you had trouble with chambering barrels accurately?

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but the results are always what matters here.

Please let us know what you find out. My only experience with high powered rifles was a British .303 I bought at the capitol flea market in San Jose (very long ago). I could hit a beer can at ~250 yards with iron sights with it. At least until I decided to try and improve it…..

John

Indicate your test bar where the tool bit cuts. Not on the top of your test bar. Most of us would be happy with the results you have. Any closer tolerance can be a deep rabbit hole.

You have four feet on the headstock end right? You should be leveling the bed with the front pair.
Try raising the rear pair and see if the height difference changes.

When I got the machine, I leveled/aligned it with the level on the ways. I decided to give'er a rip and level it from the carriage "wings" - Got the taper down to 2 tenths.

Good enough I guess.

I just went through this on a lathe I recently purchased. I got it to .00015 over 10" and called it good. You can drive yourself crazy trying to get it perfect.

Back