Heavy 10 Cam Lock with Collet Sleeve

brandon428

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have a Heavy 10 I acquired recently that came with a Cam Lock spindle and 5c collet closer. I've never worked on a lathe with a Cam Lock before, so I'm used to having a knock out nut to remove the collet sleeve that goes into the headstock. Looking at the part sheets, the Cam Lock's don't have knock out nuts, so how do you get the collet sleeve off?

Assuming the 5c adapter is inserted into the spindle, use a knock-out bar from the back end of the spindle. Preferably with something soft on the end like aluminum, brass or plastic.

Like was said before, a knock-out bar or a D1 nose mount which has a thread protector for the nose with external threads for step collets. The nose mount in this picture is from a 10EE. The knock-out bar is from the 10EE also, but I use it for both it and my Toolmex. The 10EE uses a handwheel type. The Toolmex uses a lever type with an internal sleeve. The spindle nose is D1-6.

IMG_1708.jpg

Assuming the 5c adapter is inserted into the spindle, use a knock-out bar from the back end of the spindle. Preferably with something soft on the end like aluminum, brass or plastic.

When you say 5c adapter, is that the same thing I'm calling a collet sleeve? I swear the back of that wasn't accessible, because it flush against something else, perhaps setup for the collet closer, but I'll check again.

When you say 5c adapter, is that the same thing I'm calling a collet sleeve? I swear the back of that wasn't accessible, because it flush against something else, perhaps setup for the collet closer, but I'll check again.
No, I was thinking of the adapters that insert into a taper in the spindle nose.

If you over-rotate the cam-lock when loosening, will it push the adapter out a little?

Hmmm, I don't use the cam-lock with the collet closer. Let me step back and make sure I'm not missing a part/step.

When I want to use a 3-jaw, 4-jaw, face-plate, etc., I unbolt the swing arm to the collet-closer and pull the collet-closer out including the sleeve. Then I put the chuck against the cam-lock, lock it, and use it. When I go back to collets, I unlock the cam-lock, pull the chuck, put the collet-closer and long sleeve back into the spindle, re-attach the bolt at the swing-arm, put the collet sleeve in, and load collets. I don't touch the cam-lock.

Dig some googling. Looking at this picture:

Protector5 copy.jpg

The red arrow points to what I've been calling the collet sleeve. I haven't been using the part that the green arrow points to. Is that supposed to be on in order to assist pushing the collet sleeve out?

Dig some googling. Looking at this picture:

View attachment 484307

The red arrow points to what I've been calling the collet sleeve. I haven't been using the part that the green arrow points to. Is that supposed to be on in order to assist pushing the collet sleeve out?
There we go! Remove the draw-tube/draw bar and collet, then use a knock-out bar from the back end of the spindle.

The draw-tube/draw bar is removed. It looks like there's something in the spindle? The brass disc is at the end of my draw bar, but it looks like it's butting up against a ring of some sort ahead of the collet sleeve?

IMG_8782.jpg

If it wasn't clear, I tried hitting it moderately on the back and it didn't come out easy. Can someone tell me whether or not there's an inner groove in the collet sleeve and I just need to hit harder - or whether they're surprised to see what I see in that picture?

Alternatively, can someone with a Heavy 10 measure the length of their collet sleeve and I can compare it to mine to see whether or not that inner groove is included?

Otherwise, there's a lip on the outside of the collet sleeve, so worst case I can cobble a puller with some threaded rod through the spindle.

Back