Help Identify This Craftsman Lathe

Takenotice

Registered
Registered
This was a barn find. It starts up, but the carriage is jammed with rust. I'll be learning metal work with this machine after I do some restoration on it. Any help with identification and advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 - SyrKcxJ.jpg2 - GPFZUxG.jpg3 - XtLqWuM.jpg4 - fBPDq4j.jpg5 - zOUriCR.jpgView attachment 6 - 0yA6a9O.mp4

I think it's a 12" swing machine- the tall compound is the tipoff- like a high-top tennis shoe
It may have a model # on the end of the bed- did you get any other items with it?
The jaws in that chuck are not the ones you want for general turning, unless they are reversible
4-jaw chuck's jaws often are but 3-jaw not usually
The ones in it now are for workpieces like large round stock, tubing or pipe

Last edited:
I think it's a 12" swing machine- the tall compound is the tipoff
It may have a model # on the end of the bed- did you get any other items with it?
The jaws in that chuck are not the ones you want for general turning, unless they are reversible
4-jaw chuck's jaws often are but 3-jaw not usually
Nice catch on the tall compound

Be careful of moving the jammed saddle with the manual feed handle. There is a gear box housing in the apron that is Zmack , a zinc alloy that I broke with a little too much force. Also be careful of the feed shaft support bearing and bracket. It is of the same material. With some cleaning up you should have a usable lathe. Parts are available. There are quite a few here with similar lathes.

honestly, if you didn't get a large box of gears, i would not consider that for restoration.

Be careful of moving the jammed saddle with the manual feed handle. There is a gear box housing in the apron that is Zmack , a zinc alloy that I broke with a little too much force. Also be careful of the feed shaft support bearing and bracket. It is of the same material. With some cleaning up you should have a usable lathe. Parts are available. There are quite a few here with similar lathes.
^^^ This.
To unstick the carriage, first remove the lead screw by taking the two screws out of the support on the tailstock end and sliding it out that direction. Then remove the screws from the plates on the bottom of the carriage that keeps it from lifting up. Save any shims and mark them to replace in the original position. Now you can lift up the carriage a little, but unless you can remove the gear that moves it back and forth, it won't lift off. Clean up the rust toward the tailstock and move the carriage that way over the now clean and oiled ways. The carriage should move all the way off the end.

Change gears are available. The lathe is a good place to start. Sure it is nice to have a quick change gear box. We have all started some where and many have changed lathes over the years. You can learn a lot by going through this lathe. I have been amazed at some of the work turned out with an Atlas lathe. Have fun and show us pictures of the progress.

The gears can be 3D printed. There are models available on Thingyverse
If I’m not mistaken, there may be printed gears available on EBAY

You may not want or need the full set of gears anyway- depending on how many different threads you want to cut,
and if you aren't planning on cutting threads right away you can use the machine manually

Back