Help identifying Surface Grinder

paulymorph

Registered
Registered
Any chance anyone has come across this surface grinder before? I've been looking for a while but can't locate it. Trying to find a manual for it. I just purchased itfrom a guy on Craigs List. It seems to be in great shape. It appears to have been manufactured in 2006. From what the gentleman told me, it came from a machine shop of a late friend of his.
I've seen several that have the distinctive hollow on the front of the body (the upside down U shape). This one from Sharp Industries seems to be the closest but mine has roller ball ways and the Sharp one does not. https://sharp-industries.com/product/sg-618/. The back of the base has a distinctive 'M' in the casting but I haven't seen that in any other pictures of other machines.

IMG_2595.jpeg
IMG_2592.jpeg
IMG_2535.jpeg
IMG_2527.jpeg

Looks like a Chinese clone of a Parker Majestic.
Mehinite Casting.
The thing that separates this grinder apart from many is the cast iron base

I agree. clone of a PM...

Looks like a Chinese clone of a Parker Majestic.
Mehinite Casting.
The thing that separates this grinder apart from many is the cast iron base
By 'separates this grinder apart from many', I assume this to be a positive thing? I've been really happy with it so far.

Absolutely a positive thing!
So many of the smaller surface grinders went to heavy gauge sheet metal for the base.
These machines are not as rigid and more prone to change due to temperature change.
Enjoy your machine!

My Brown and Sharpe Valuemaster went to a 1/2" thick plate steel base, cold formed into a U shape, flanges and top welded on, and a bottom made from 3/4" plate. *I cannot see how they saved money doing it this way, but it sure is solid!

Aren’t all Mehanite castings sourced from Taiwan?

There were 5 plants in the USA licensed to provide meehnite. most of it has been from overseas.
It is better than cast iron.
Between the EPA and Labor cost most castings, forgings and smelting is performed outside the US.

Back