Help Needed: Clausing 111 Power Crossfeed Key.

magu

Registered
Registered
Hi all, I need some help. (quips about my insanity are un-needed, my wife makes plenty of them)

I have a 12 inch clausing 111 lathe. It has a power crossfeed run off the lead screw, unfortunately I don't believe that I inserted the key correctly because about the third time I ran the lathe it came out and was mangled beyond recognition. So two years later now that I actually have a use for the function I have a question: how is it retained? The PDF manual I have calls it a 1/8 by 1/8 straight key, but I have yet to figure out how it stays in.

Is there any indication that the original key was once silver soldered in? If not, perhaps they originally used some Locktite product.

I'm working on a SB 16 right now and there is a key in the carriage drive worm gear. It is longer that the allocated slot in the gear and bent over on both ends so it doesn't work out. Not familiar with the clausing, but maybe similar idea?

Tim

Could be. The only parts manual I have a copy of is for 100-3. Drawings are section views instead of exploded and it doesn't actually show the key. And the description in the parts list just says 1/8" square key. Someone mentioned bent keys last year but I can't recall whether it was here or in the Rockwell forum. I would call Clausing and see whether they have one.

I had/have bent keys on a Clausing 5418 that we discussed here. One was in the gear box. I can't remember where the other was but I don't think it was the cross feed

Let me check
Rick

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I'm working on a SB 16 right now and there is a key in the carriage drive worm gear. It is longer that the allocated slot in the gear and bent over on both ends so it doesn't work out. Not familiar with the clausing, but maybe similar idea?

Tim

I have taken the gearbox off and looked at it every which way and I am thinking that a similar thing was done on my lathe as yours. I originally thought it was an odd gib key, but looking at the rmanents, the "head" could just has easily been a bent end. I also have no idea how well seated it was before or if the key was even original.

Could be. The only parts manual I have a copy of is for 100-3. Drawings are section views instead of exploded and it doesn't actually show the key. And the description in the parts list just says 1/8" square key. Someone mentioned bent keys last year but I can't recall whether it was here or in the Rockwell forum. I would call Clausing and see whether they have one.

We must have the same documentation, as that is exactly what I have to go off of. I tried the clausing folks and, while creepily friendly, they didn't have anything to help me out beyond a scan of the manual.

I had/have bent keys on a Clausing 5418 that we discussed here. One was in the gear box. I can't remember where the other was but I don't think it was the cross feed

Let me check
Rick

I appreciate that, i think I have come up with a solution though. I am not entirely comfortable with the whole bent key thing, I don't know why, but in my mind it just seems like something begging to catch or wedge itself somewhere. My plan is to take a piece of carbon key stock and weld a little blob on either end. I can then grind/file profiled heads on both ends. Then it will just be the herculean feat of holding it in place while sliding everything back on. I am thinking a dab of grease might be my friend for that. I will post a picture when I am done, but that may be a while, my wife is scheduled to be induced tonight.

thank you Sir. Big changes ahead....

Magu,

I'm a little bit surprised that Clausing didn't have the key available. And that no one else who owns a 100 Series hasn't piped up. But a bent up end is no more (or less) likely to catch on anything than a welded on end. You will just need to check what the maximum length of the bent end can be and after bending, grind or mill it down to that. And you will need to either mill or file the inside radius to a square corner.

I believe the reason that clausing doesn't have any would be that they are calling it a straight key and probably grouping it with the rest of the comercial hardware (nuts, bolts, etc) on the bom. I agree with you about a bent Key's suitability if you square the face etc. The one that was in there appears to have been bent cudely with pliers or something and stuck in the machine. It had a large bend radius that seemed to work a lot like a taper.

Back