• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Help Request: Fitting A D1 Back Plate To A 4 Jaw

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
I really like my "new" 15" Colchester.
However, I miss my 4jaw. Just seemed to hold everything tighter without cranking on the chuck jaws. I don't find that set-up really takes that much time.
Courtesy of Ulmadoc I've got a vintage 10inch independent 4jaw which I can mount.
This spindle takes a D1-6 backing plate.
The diameter to the shoulder is a little less than 6inches.
This includes both the D1-6 camlocks and the mounting screws to the 10inch periphery of the chuck itself.

My question:
Should the backing plate extend to the periphery of the chuck?
Or, is it adequate to extend only as far as the shoulder?
I'm actually wondering if a 6inch backing plate with a press fit is advantageous, as she'd have less rotational weight and would allow a hand to hold the recessed cavity in the back of the chuck.

Note: I purchased a 10inch D1-6 backplate online. Then the eBay vendor canceled the order, refunded my money, and relisted at triple the price. Arrrgh.

Thank you!
Daryl
MN

Chipper5783

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
I agree with Tony. I have two 4 jaw chucks on D1-4 mounting plates, both are much smaller than the actual chuck and fit into a machined recess. The casting details in back of the chuck make a nice place to hang onto. David

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
Thank you, I'm intentionally on the prowl for a D1-6 with a smaller backplate.
You've both made this decision easier, especially as they are more plentiful and less expensive.
Near as I can tell, any back on which I can make the shoulder/boss fit the plain back chuck will work.

Daryl
MN