Help with cutting a 41 tooth gear blank

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at my situation. No angle on the 41T teeth (shame on the manufacturer) That worm was a replacement part I purchased when I added the bronze bushings you see. It does not have very many hours on it. I have the ability to adjust the worm/gear clearance and maybe I can save this pair. I'll give that a try. As to the design, yes I think it's not so good. But others seem to have had better luck or no complaints. And this same lathe is sold as a couple different brands. (Enco, etc). I'm coming around to the idea that I just got a lemon and I may just replace the apron casting (still hoping there's a new design), worm and and gear. Cost may be 200-300, but that's relatively inexpensive.

Keep us posted whichever way you go :) It's certainly an interesting problem, much as it must be frustrating!

two more images.
Looking at the image showing a straight down view: it looks like the 2nd worm tooth engagement is hitting hard on the right side but moving over a few teeth it looks like the the tooth is hitting on the opposite side. This seems to indicate the clearance between the wheel and worm has been set too tight. Or that the profiles are wrong. Looks like a "pinching" action is taking place between where the tooth is being "pulled" in and being "pushed" out.. I could be wrong trying to judge from a photo. All gears require some clearance (slop) because there is no such thing as a perfect profile match. Hmmmm, can to lap a gear set? But then there would still be the issue of temperature change.

Back