Homemade boring bar

Jimsehr

Active User
Registered
Boring bar made with carbide bar with carbide insert silver soldered onto it.
jimsehr

It works great.

IMG_0001-17.jpg

IMG_0001-17.jpg

looks interesting. I didn't know silver solder would hold so well for that application; maybe worth a try, might be better than welding it on and screwing up the metal overheating it

what did you use to silver solder, propane?

looks interesting. I didn't know silver solder would hold so well for that application; maybe worth a try, might be better than welding it on and screwing up the metal overheating it

what did you use to silver solder, propane?
I have been making carbide boring bars like this for over 50 years. I use a regular set of welding tanks. I also make them with carbide soldered to steal bars. I save used worn carbide inserts
and regrind them to shape. Using the solid carbide bar makes for a really stout bore bar. And I use them over and over.
jimsehr

Where do you get the carbide bars from?

You can buy carbide rounds from Enco tools . A 3/8 blank 3 inch long costs about 20 dollars but you can use them over and over. I also save any broken carbide drills or other carbide end mill
shanks. I have used some bars for years.
jimsehr

Jimsehr,
That is a slick idea. I wonder if I could silver solder some carbide to a broken drill bit Non carbide kind. Might be able to notch the drill rod and get a better clamp on the carbide chip too. Hmmmmm, got me thinkin now...

Bob

seems you could weld, solder or braze carbide or even HSS cutters to any mild steel rods or carbide rods for boring or inside threading. I'll have to run my own tests now and see. Worst that could happen is they don't work or fail

That works (brazing carbide to steel). The benefit of a carbide bar is that it is much stiffer than steel. Didn't know of a cheep source for carbide bars before this. now :thinking:

Back