Horizontal mill spindle is stuck

The 1 1/2 was only available for a few years and is basically identical the 1 and 2 just halfway between the two in size and travel. Mine is one of my favorite machines too.

Glad you it worked out for you. When I get someone new into my shop I always point out the No2 as a 100+ year old machine that can do almost anything. I have vertical head and slotting attachment that I want to start using.

Anyone know how the wick goes back in? Just keep it in the cutout portion of the bearing or does is get spread out in the relief of the housing too? Should I clean it, replace it or just go with it? Looks like old rope to me, but who knows. It's probably 100 years old.

That's old "stuffing box" material. Used to know the term. Basically a felt type of material should take it's place. McMaster-Carr would be a good source for replacement material. A good felt wicking material is what you are looking for.

Edit:
That in the picture is more than likely wool. I recall dad saying something about this years ago.

Here's a page from McMaster Carr's listing for felt.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#felt-wicking/=va2bey

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll keep that link for future use, thanks! Turns out the stuff that was in there wasn't too bad. I wiped it off, frayed it out a little and it fluffed right up. Twisted it together and stuffed it back in the recess. Ready for another 100 years of use.

Here's some pictures of the re-assembly should someone stumble across this in the future.

Brass bearing first tightened from the inside to draw it in and take up the slop
100_1152.JPG

Outer nut next
100_1154.JPG

chain sprocket
100_1155.JPG

Washer, it has a recess for tang that sticks out of the shaft
100_1158.JPG

My friend, the spanner nut. Turns out this thing was hardened. I couldn't drill it for new holes. I guess when it has to come apart again 50 years from now someone will have to figure it out. My guess is if I had tightened the inner spanner nut before taking this apart it probably would not have been as tight. As is was, everything was jammed up against it.
100_1157.JPG

Chain
100_1159.JPG

Cover
100_1160.JPG

She's been humming away for the last couple hours. I was bummed out when the machine went down, but I actually feel better now because I know more about the machine, am less intimidated by it and have more confidence for future repairs. Good day all-in-all.

Thanks for everyones' input.

100_1152.JPG 100_1154.JPG 100_1155.JPG 100_1157.JPG 100_1158.JPG 100_1159.JPG 100_1160.JPG

Back