How Did I Do On This South Bend Purchase?

I picked up a real nice early 70's 10k for $2900 last month here in the Denver area. Twice what you paid and it didn't have a taper attachment or steady rest. Those alone are close to $1400. Mine had a full set of Harbinge collets, QCTP tool holders, lots of bits, 4-jaw and 3-jaw chuck and headstock and tailstock drill chucks so I did decent on the tooling. It was in great shape still having the grind pattern on 80% of the v-ways but was also a bench top model. I would love to have a cabinet model. I'd say you did fantastic! It's amazing the different pricing in different parts of the country.

I replaced the carriage and tailstock felts as well as the spindle felts. I didn't feel ambitious enough to tear apart the apron and gears to get to those felts. The felts I changed out were in good shape but I got a good feel for the lathe and it was easy enough.

Spent almost every non-work hour this last week disassembling, stripping paint, painting, replacing felts, and reassembling. I have not done the taper attachment, steady rest or follow rest yet. I also haven't touched the counter-shaft assembly except to oil it.

IMG_20160507_214046556.jpg

Bad news. I went to put the steady rest on the lathe that the seller included with the purchase. I could tell as soon as I set the steady rest on the lathe bed that it was not the correct steady rest for my lathe. It has catalog number 126NR1 in the casting and after some googling it appears I have a steady rest for a 10L. This is somewhat my fault because I should have checked it before I purchased and I would guess that the old guy I bought it from might not know it was the wrong part as it looks like it was never used in awhile. I guess my best option with this is to sell it and buy one that is correct for my lathe. I just hope I don't have to pay way more for one that fits my lathe.

Then I started checking the other accessories and the thread stop is just slightly too large to fit the dovetail on my cross slide so I guess it may be for a 10L also. I could probably make a small gib that would work for this. What do you guys think? Sell it or make it work?

Then!!!! The face plate is obviously for a much larger lathe. The threads are way bigger than the 1-1/2x8 on my lathe. I will probably put it up for sale on ebay. Not sure if I will try to purchase a replacement for it. Don't know how much I will use a face plate. I would rather have a 4 jaw chuck at this point.

I forgot to mention that the follow rest appears to be correct for my lathe but I am missing the mounting bolts.

It wouldn't hurt to put some measurements of the steady rest in your auction description just to avoid any problems. It's annoying, but you should be able to flip this tooling and pick-up a steady rest to fit your 9A with some money left over.

It's kinda weird that the tooling in that drawer was actually for a heavy 10. Does the tailstock wrench fit your lathe?

Mordamer, if the faceplate is 2-1/4-8 threads I would be interested in it. How big is it ? I have a 10L.
I think I have a 1-1/2-8 faceplate

Best I can measure, threads are 2-1/4" x 8. Face is 8-3/8" in diameter.

Back