How do I attach my indicators to my magnetic base?

You'll probably laugh when you see this, but I purchased some used indicators and a base and I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach them to the base. The base just has a screw which seems to be welded/glued in and a nut.

Here are some photos. Maybe some of you have an idea.

Thanks

View attachment 474806View attachment 474807View attachment 474808View attachment 474809
I have same problem several indicators and adapters but none seem to fit each other.
The adapters that fit on the nase rods dont fit the indicators and or the indicators fit the dovetail part of the adapter but not the rods on the base: eventually I will make some rods that fit.

Personally, I don't like either of those channels.
I have books by 'Tubal Cain' which Mr Pete insists on calling himself.
I find him bit of an arrogant A**h***, money no object which is great when someone else is paying.
The 'Tubal Cain' model engineering books I have were written by someone who was around during WWII so had a load of alternative ways to do things when you couldn't get material for hobbies

Personally, I don't like either of those channels.
I have books by 'Tubal Cain' which Mr Pete insists on calling himself.
I find him bit of an arrogant A**h***, money no object which is great when someone else is paying.
The 'Tubal Cain' model engineering books I have were written by someone who was around during WWII so had a load of alternative ways to do things when you couldn't get material for hobbies
Hmm I dont see that money is no object side of mr pete? Anyhow Im always open to other sources of video education.

I haven't watched any of his video's for several years, yes, he did get things cheap at sales but threw away a bunch of repairable stuff that someone broke (like me) could have used

I haven't watched any of his video's for several years, yes, he did get things cheap at sales but threw away a bunch of repairable stuff that someone broke (like me) could have used
I have watched guys like Mrpete scrap and throw away many old tools simple because no one wanted it but the scrap yard.

Don’t even get me started and all the large mills that was just too big for home use that we saw dragged out and piled up at all the machine shops back in the late 80s early 90s most of those machine shops are have also close their doors. I recently drove by a machine shop not far from my house. It’s been close for two or three years. All the equipment was pushed outside to the back and it’s just sitting there rotting huge sign not for sale. No covers no protection. I just can’t win in the old tool game unless you’re fortunate enough to stumble across, it at the right time which doesn’t happen too often for me with anything. Another annoying thing is people who have decent equipment but want outrageous amount of money for it and it just sits there year after year after year. About 10 years ago I seen an ad on craigslist for a bench top lathe for sale best offer I was able to contact the gentleman and I didn’t even get to make an offer. He just said I want $4500 firm for the lathe. I didn’t know much about leads at that time still don’t know a lot but when I looked at it . The condition it looked in I felt like yeah noway that thing is nowhere near worth 4500 bucks crusty rotted belts, rusty to me it looked like it was missing parts and very little tooling. That same guy posted that lathe for sale on Facebook over the summer. The price went down a little bit 3900 bucks he kept claiming it is a very rare and collectible
It was South Bend, 9 inch lathe.
There are other listings for much better machines for much less.
Its all fun.

@Reddinr , quite interesting. I bought my current mag-base because it looked more resistant to that kind of problem. No point in using an indicator if gravity will throw the thing out of whack.

@hemmjo , I'm just starting out. I decided to go with indicators and other measurement stuff at first over, for example, investing in a lathe or milling machine. I reasoned, "No point in having fancy machines if you can't gauge accuracy." So I'm limited to a drill press and bench grinder plus some odd smaller power tools in what I can make at this point in time.

Attached are some more pictures as was requested.

IMG_3555.jpegIMG_3554.jpegIMG_3553.jpegIMG_3552.jpegIMG_3551.jpegIMG_3550.jpegIMG_3549.jpegIMG_3548.jpegIMG_3547.jpegIMG_3546.jpegIMG_3545.jpegIMG_3544.jpeg

Back