How Do I Machine This, Manually?

Lood

Active User
Registered
The plastic disk/cutting string holder on my lawn edge trimmer has worn through. Seeing that the machine was bought way back in 1995, I doubt whether I would be able to buy a new part off the shelve, so I'm planning to make a new one out of aluminum.
I would like some input on how I should go about to machine or mill out the slotted pattern, as shown in the picture?
I have a rotary table, so the circular part is not a problem, neither dividing the circle into 9 to get the correct amount of teeth (for the lack of a better word), using the index on the rotary table. The sides of the small teeth are perpendicular, so this indicates that I'll have to center the work piece and then move the table sideways, half the width of one tooth? Cut towards the next by rotating the piece, move the table the correct distance to the opposite side, and so on.
Am I correct when I say that if I use the correct size end mill, I should be able to cut both the inner and outer edge teeth simultaneously?

I would appreciate any input and advice, please.

Disk.JPG

Well, well, thanks for the heads-up. These actually makes a lot more sense and I should be able to make on of these quite easily.

i bought the head i needed and got spare blades from a cheaper company ..they just needed to get drilled out a tad...didn't break one since i got them.lol...i broke the brand new string in the brand new trimmer in under 5 seconds last year...i was po'ed...so i tried the plastics...niceeeeeeee

Brand name? Model number? Part number? Have you searched the web for a replacement part?

If it were me, I'd be absolutely certain that no replacement part is available before bothering to make one on a manual mill. My second choice would be to investigate adapting a currently available part of equivalent function. I see that you're in South Africa. I wonder if your supply chain is very limited there.

If you have to make one, just like that one, it will be a significant challenge for a hobbyist. Rounding the tip of each "tooth" will require repositioning (18 times). You'll need to use a small diameter cutter to achieve those small inside corner radii. Post a picture showing the overall part and also the "worn through" area. Post a picture of the mating part(s) to explain the function. Can you graft on whatever is required to repair the damaged area only (salvage the rest of the existing part)?

most of the wear is the tips against a retaining wall

IMG_8629.JPG IMG_8630.JPG

can you frankenstein it? as in, keep the part with these 'teeth', copy just the worn part in say, metal, turn off the worn part of plastic, and screw/glue the new metal part to the 'teeth' part.

I agree - I would try to cut off the bit that is too hard to machine and reuse it if at all possible attached to a new bobbin in some way

Back