How Many Drill Presses Does One Man Need?

No one really knows........that number has yet to be reached.

Rich,

So are you saying that in general take whatever number of drill presses you have now and add 1 to it and that's the answer? I think I can apply that to other machinery too. I like that.

Rich,

So are you saying that in general take whatever number of drill presses you have now and add 1 to it and that's the answer? I think I can apply that to other machinery too. I like that.
Yup! It works for any other tool. For bench grinders my current number is 7 :cheerful:

Nah, two hands means two is the minimum number of drill presses. :eagerness:

How Many Drill Presses Does One Man Need, before you can call him a man? The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind, the answer is blowin' in the wind...

Rich,

OK since this can be applied to other machinery I have 3 mills and one lathe. But, do I need even numbers of each? Adding them up I have 4, but separately I have uneven numbers.

Does this mean I need to buy 2 more lathes? That would make 6 total, but if I need even numbers of each do I need to buy 1 more mill and 3 lathes???

This it quite a delema for me. I'm not sure if Jim has that much room :)

Gentlemen;

During my Atlas 10F lathe rebuilding exercises...I really wanted to get an old Atlas drill press to rebuild as a companion tool (I already had a Craftsman 10" bench-top drill press). Well, I saw this old Champion drill press ('50s vintage) on Ebay about a year ago at the right price and won that. Everything's going well, then I see an old W-T Driver model D925 bench-top drill press ('39 vintage) on my local CL, and won that. Still don't have an Atlas, but I'm about 400 lbs. heavier...should I stop, or keep going... you know, for the ultimate prize?

As the old football coach used to say { keep running that play till you get it right }

Last edited:
I believe that tools are like heard animals, they perform best when surrounded by a large group. I don't believe that there is an exact number, it just has to feel right...

Back