How To Approach This Job

Transformer

Registered
Registered
I have a simple job to do but very little machining experience. I need to make some washers, 8 at 2" and 1/4 thick with a 7/16 hole and 8 at 1.25" and 3/16 thick with a 3/8 hole. I have a 1 ft piece of 2" hot rolled steel. I have thought of 3 ways of doing this.

1. Face off. Drill an undersized hole. Set up the tail stock. Part off the 1/4 thick pieces. Drill to 7/16 on the drill press. For the smaller washers then turn down to 1.25 diameter, part off the pieces and then drill to 3/8 on the drill press. (Tail stock because I am not sure if the 3 jaw will hold the material well enough for parting off.)

2. Cut 3" off the piece I have. Face, drill to 7/16, part off the pieces. Mount the remaining 9", drill to 3/8, turn down to 1.25 and part off the pieces.

3. Same as number 1. but do the 1.25 diameter pieces first.

Or ?????????? I would appreciate comments on what approach might be best, or how you would do it.

I have a 10" Grizzley lathe, converted to CNC. I also just purchased an insert type parting tool.

It is an all lathe operation as already said. Face the stock off. drill the hole on size, cut the OD to size and part them off. You never have to leave the lathe till they are done. Two machines is a waste of time IMHO.

"Billy G"

First face off and drill a 3/8" hole in the work deep enough for the thickness of the 1-1/4" washers and the loss due to parting, turn down to 1-1/4", and then part them off. It helps to chamfer each hole on the visible end before it it cut off, and chamfer both edges of the O.D. after parting it part way off. When finished with the 1-1/4" washers, face off and drill to 7/16", turn or polish if desired on the O.D., and repeat the parting and chamfering until done. One side of the I.D. will need to be chamfered or deburred manually. Depending on desired finish, you may need to face each washer as you go.

Cutting off a 3 inch hunk is not enough because of the stock turned into chips by the parting tool. Add up the cuts and the washers and then leave at least an inch in the chuck for holding. A bit more if you parting tool won't work in close to the jaws. Turn the OD for the stack. Drill for the stack. Part off.

You have to put the Drill Chuck someplace LOL No it's not necessary to set it up for anything but drilling.

"Billy G"

Lots of good advice above, I only have one thing to add......

You mentioned twice about parting while using the tail-stock

1. Face off. Drill an undersized hole. Set up the tail stock. Part off the 1/4 thick pieces. Drill to 7/16 on the drill press. For the smaller washers then turn down to 1.25 diameter, part off the pieces and then drill to 3/8 on the drill press. (Tail stock because I am not sure if the 3 jaw will hold the material well enough for parting off.)

That is a dangerous combination!!!
If the parted off piece has no where to go it will jam in the gap and at best stall the lathe and at worst be launched at your face. Please don't do that!
It is the equivalent of kick-back on the table saw.

One possibility if your setup is not rigid enough to part-off without tailstock support is to start parting with the tailstock, but STOP WELL SHORT of the internal hole ID. Then power off the lathe and finish with a hacksaw.

Do you think setting up the tailstock is necessary?
as above; only for holding the drill chuck!

Play Safe!
-brino

by the way there is a bunch of good suggestions for parting off here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/parting-for-idiots.32938/
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/parting-difficulty.35356/
it can be one of the tricky things to learn to do properly.

Last edited:
I try to stay away from a parting tool. However if I do use it I lightly support with a rolling center & before parting is complete I back it off a few tenths.

Personally I'd part with a hacksaw & face one side of each washer then flip them all to face the last side.

Kingmto1: That is what I have been doing, face - hacksaw - repeat.

The second side I have been milling. Is there a way to hold the 1/4 thick pieces to face the other side in the lathe? I still have more to do. (And when I am done it will be parting off practice time.)

Back