How to attach a drill chuck unto a taper?

koenbro

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a half inch Jacobs drill chuck from Tormach that adapts unto a JT6 arbor. When the drill retracts under load, the chuck tends to get loose and fall off the arbor. What is the secret to connect them? Should I press it -- am afraid I will damage the TTS shoulder. Should I use some Loctite or other adhesive? TIA for any help.

This should be an interference fit provided that the arbor and the female chuck socket are accurately ground, which they should be. Things that interfere with such a fit are dirt, burrs and oil. If any of these things are inside the chuck taper or on the arbor then an interference fit is not possible.

First thing to do is run your finger inside the chuck taper to see if there are any burrs; if you find any, remove them with a stone. Do the same for the male arbor. Then clean the arbor and female taper with lacquer thinner or acetone. Do not use alchohol; it won't clean adequately. Then simply place the male arbor in the female taper with a gentle twisting motion and the two surfaces will come into contact and lock. Place the nose of the chuck on a solid surface and put a piece of wood on the end of the arbor and give it a firm tap to seat the arbor. That should do it and it should not come off until you take it off.

Maybe after doing what was mentioned above it would be wise to blue the taper and see how well the taper matches . On a side note back in HS Machine Shop I put a center drill in a drill chuck shoved it in the drill press , ( should have used a mallet to seat it ) while setting up the work the chuck fell out and the center drill went through my thumb nail ! Things you never forget !

My like ( thumbs up )was for the blueing , and NOT the center drill going thru your thumbnail . ;)

Our made in China chuck that came with the hf mill blues up well but does not like holding a 4 inch hole saw, yes, it likely exceeds to capacity of the taper but that is why you keep the less than best things for.

We cleaned ours up, mixed a batch of HVAC epoxy and assembled with it.

4 inch hole saw through plate steel, real slow speed and no problem.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back