How to drill at an angle without angle vise

You mentioned production and repeats so a little time on a fixture might be worth it. My approach would be to do the profile and mounting holes first and save the angled holes until your last operation. I mocked up my approach for you in a way that could be all manually machined. The angle could be simply laid out with scribes and referenced in the vise for the fixture block machining. The holes on your finished part are used fasten the part in place which is located by one ledge and the dowel pin.

-Nick

View attachment 486998View attachment 486999View attachment 487000
I think this is the way to go. I've done it a number of times for making fixtures to hold parts as desired angles for machining. I have angle setting devices but my preferred method now is using a digital angle cube. Fast, easy and very accurate. Set it to zero on a reference surface, then place it on the part to be machined and adjust it to the target angle within an acceptable tolerance, clamp and machine. I've had very good experiences with iGaging products and have three of their angle cubes around my shop, metal machining, woodworking and sharpening.

Attachments

• Angle Cube 1 640.jpg
    Angle Cube 1 640.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Angle Cube 2 640.jpg
    Angle Cube 2 640.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Angle Cube Adjustable Angle Block 2 08-07-19 640.jpg
    Angle Cube Adjustable Angle Block 2 08-07-19 640.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 5
I don't have a ton of tooling to do shims and such.

It's an injector holder for a 50 year old injection system.
I could use the stock injectors but with an aftermarket controller (Megasquirt), I have a lot of options for injectors. The stock injectors are getting more and more rare but I can pick up newer injectors for a fraction of the price. And if one goes bad, they're cheap to replace.

There's no off-the-shelf alternative to the stock injectors and no off-the-shelf injector plate for a more modern version.

About 15 years ago I converted my 1980 Mercedes 450SLC to electronic fuel injection using Megasquirt. My Mercedes had multipoint mechanical fuel injection so I was able to replace the CIS injectors with electronic injectors out of a 5.0 Mustang. Not having to plumb a high pressure pump and return line also made things considerably easier. The hard part was building the fuel rail, I wasn't near as equipped as I am now for precision hole placement. All I had at the time was a drill press.

I would love to see your setup if you are interested in posting it?

About 15 years ago I converted my 1980 Mercedes 450SLC to electronic fuel injection using Megasquirt. My Mercedes had multipoint mechanical fuel injection so I was able to replace the CIS injectors with electronic injectors out of a 5.0 Mustang. Not having to plumb a high pressure pump and return line also made things considerably easier. The hard part was building the fuel rail, I wasn't near as equipped as I am now for precision hole placement. All I had at the time was a drill press.

I would love to see your setup if you are interested in posting it?
The setup for the EFI?
I'm probably not far enough for a display yet.

I have the controller all soldered up.
I have an EFI manifold.
Some of the components for the trigger wheel.
Nissan throttle body
A handful of generic Ford injectors (I expect to lose a few)
but nothing is wired.

I also just found a source for potential fuel rail tubes. If I knew how to weld aluminum it would be a lot easier on that end.

Is this the type of fuel rail stock you are looking at?

PICT3891.png

My first fuel rail attempt was soldered together brass and copper fittings. BAD IDEA!
PICT3877.JPG
I can't believe I am actually showing this photo!

Then I switched to the aluminum fuel stock above and it worked very well. Being a V8 I needed two pieces. I used AN6 (-6 AN) fittings for the hoses. The hardest part was measuring the fuel injector hole spacing on the manifold perfectly so I could transpose them to the fuel rail stock (I did NOT get it right on the first try with the aluminum rail stock). I forget what the diameter the fuel injector bungs/port holes need to be but I recall it being just over a half inch. I predrilled then used a specified size reamer to get them perfect. I found that I needed a pretty good bell on the end of each bung to compress the o-rings on the top of the injector. I found a 1/2" round over woodworking router bit made the perfect bell. Then I used a lot of Flitz metal polish to smooth everything out.

PICT3880.JPG
The injectors sit so deep into the head I wasn't able to measure the hole spacing accurately. So I put the new electronic injectors in which seated very firmly and measured them for spacing. In the picture you can see the holes for retaining the mechanical fuel injectors... with U shaped bolt on clips (clips not shown). Down lower you will see I reused these bosses to mount my home made fuel rail retaining straps.

Honestly, if I were doing it now I would just purchase the proper fuel rail bung hole reamer: https://rossmachineracing.com/products/14mm-o-ring-fuel-injector-port-tool
It is expensive but will be much easier than chasing high pressure fuel leaks because you don't have the bung/port hole geometry perfect. (Wow, I found a second one for $80... DEFINITELY worth it at that price!)

I threaded the ends of the fuel rails with 1/2" (I think) NTP and used 1/2" to -6 AN fittings for the hoses. My local Napa had a good supply of -6 AN fittings... but I think they called them AN6 fittings.

Here is a picture of one of the fuel rails DURING the install (you can actually see the second rail at the bottom of the picture and the interconnect hoses)... I cleaned everything up considerably by the time I was finished. :eek 2:
PICT4250.JPG

When I installed this MegaSquirt II was pretty new. It did not support sequential injection. So I didn't bother using a missing tooth wheel to time the engine cycle, just simple batch injection. I used the tach signal from the original harness to trigger the MS. Then I used the timing adjusted spark signal out from the MS to trigger a MSD ignition which then went through the factory distributor. I considered upgrading to a Ford EDIS ignition with a missing tooth wheel but it ran so well as is I decided to keep it simple.

My injectors are junk yard injectors that I cleaned thoroughly in a ultrasonic cleaner. I put each injector in a tupperware container filled with injector cleaner and activated the injector manually (12v) while the tupperware was in the ultrasonic cleaner. They all worked fine. I actually have 2 sets of injectors, a set of single pintle and a set with 4 jets on each injector which atomizes better... I can tell no difference between the two sets. Neither can the MS as swapping them doesn't change the fuel table at all.

In finding these EFI pictures I discovered I did the conversion 18 years ago. Here is a picture of my 19 year old daughter interspersed with the EFI pictures I found:

house_nicoleYogart 043.jpg

I just happened to find this first fuel rail attempt in a desk I was cleaning out earlier this week. It was doomed by the second pilot hole when the bit broke off. I finished it for practice anyway... and yes it leaked at the injector with the offset hole from the broken bit.

FuelRail.jpg

What kind of engine are you injecting? What is it going into?

Last edited:
Back