How to make a better 3D printer nozzle? (Machining topic)

strantor

Active User
Registered
In short: I need a way to make a very smooth/polished hole about 1.85mm diameter and 2" long through the middle of M6x1.0 copper (preferably) or brass.

In long: I am needing to produce large parts with very soft flexible filaments (60-70 shore A) at a pace which suggests I get paid per part and not by hour, so "just slow down to 2mm/s" isn't a palatable solution. <conjecture warning - applies to the rest of this paragraph> I have come to the conclusion that a big part of the challenge is that on nearly every printer, the filament melt zone is not long enough. We are expecting plastic to go from room temperature to liquid state in the span of a 1/2" long hotend, and at low speed this works "well enough" but at higher speeds the plastic doesn't spend long enough in the melt zone. If you're using a rigid filament, you can get by even at higher speed just by brute force; just cram that filament down the gullet and it will come out one way or another, fully melted or not. But you just can't get away with this approach when the filament has the consistency of a gummy bear. I think this is why parts printed at high speed are weaker and this is why the shotgun answer to almost every 3D printing issue is typically "slow down" - even if people don't realize it when they say it, they're speaking to the inherent flaw in 3D printers. I have experience in industrial extrusion (wire, cable, tube) and never have I ever seen extrusion done this way - trying to rapid zap a cold polymer into fluid with only a second or two in the die. There is always a long heated barrel that the plastic must travel through before reaching the die, to ensure it is fully melted when it gets there. This barrel, and the die, and the screw, and every other mechanical element in contact with the molten plastic is ground to a very smooth finish.

So I have concluded that I need a long melt zone with a bore that has a very smooth/polished finish.
This is what I have currently:

1710255320367.png

My heater on the left, stock heater on the right. I have a melt zone 5X longer and with 6X more heating watts than stock.

I am using the OmniaDrop extruder which is renown for its ability to handle flexible filaments.

1710255238954.png

I have made the barrel out of Amazon knockoff "Volcano" nozzles for which I parted off the tips on the lathe so they are now just threaded M6 brass tubes with about 1.85mm ID. This works but leaves interruptions in the bore that I think generate turbulence. It should be one long piece I think. I tried drilling out the center of the makeshift barrel to a slightly larger size and this actually hurt performance. I am not positive but I think the issue wasn't the new larger size, but rather the lower quality surface finish left by the drill bit. So I have convinced myself that the bore of the barrel and the bore of the nozzle need to be extremely smooth. Some higher end nozzles do come with a smoothness spec and I will use them, but the nozzle itself is not the issue I am concerned with at the moment - it's the bore I'm focused on.

I am going to try the "supervolcano" nozzle as a combined barrel and nozzle.

1710256425486.png

but this isn't really convenient because it will require complete disassembly of the hotend to change the nozzle, I could cut the tip off like I did for the volcano nozzles but still I am not convinced the bore will be "perfectly" smooth. So how could it (or a home made barrel) be made smooth inside when it's such a small ID? I have looked and not found any kind of hone that small. Chuck up a toothpick in the drill and cover it in lapping compound?

Having recently suffered through printing a large item out of TPU, I sympathize with your problem completely. Took me 9 tries to get a completed print, and that was after reducing the volumetric flow, and messing with the extruder.

Perhaps the answer to your smooth bore problem might be a reamer? #49 is 0.0730", 1.85mm is 0.0728". https://www.titancuttingtools.com/products/tool-details-tr96038

A barrel lap. You can get acro laps in very small sizes. I have been building a part lately that requires lapping the hole to a very specific size, at .1958"
You can easily lap that hole for a specific size and get a very fine finish also.
Drill your hole slightly undersized and lap the last couple thousands out.
Here is a picture of the laps.
I would try some 600 grit and maybe 1000 for final finish.
Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240312_113630_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240312_113630_Chrome.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 26
Why struggle with making long small-dimater holes when you can buy short-length stainless steel hypodermic tubing in a variety of gauges? you can get 13 gauge from https://componentsupplycompany.com/product-pages/hypodermic-cut-micro-connectors.php & bypass some of those issues.

If it isn't smooth enough then consider lapping. But it may be good enough as-is.
He needs 1.85mm or so. The filament is 1.75mm +/- 0.03 or so, some are worse. The tolerance on the ID bore is a little wide and not quite in the right place, but may work. I calculate 1.7526mm min and 1.8542 max. Probably will need to be opened up slightly, reamer then lapping?

Sorry I only saw the reply from homebrewed at first.
Having recently suffered through printing a large item out of TPU, I sympathize with your problem completely. Took me 9 tries to get a completed print, and that was after reducing the volumetric flow, and messing with the extruder.

Perhaps the answer to your smooth bore problem might be a reamer? #49 is 0.0730", 1.85mm is 0.0728". https://www.titancuttingtools.com/products/tool-details-tr96038

A barrel lap. You can get acro laps in very small sizes. I have been building a part lately that requires lapping the hole to a very specific size, at .1958"
You can easily lap that hole for a specific size and get a very fine finish also.
Drill your hole slightly undersized and lap the last couple thousands out.
Here is a picture of the laps.
I would try some 600 grit and maybe 1000 for final finish.
Joe
The combination of reamer and barrel lap I think is exactly what I am looking for. I didn't even know barrel laps existed. I was googling things like "tube hone" and similar, this is why I ask my questions here. I did find reamers in the correct size but none were as long as the one you found. So I will get some reamers and laps on order and probably some hypo tubing too, give that a shot. Thanks for the help!

I have a couple of thoughts. Instead of adding a longer melt zone, how about a pre-heat stage that brings the filament up to a middle temp between the final extrustion temp and room temp. The final heater will have less energy it has to pump in at the final section. Also if you have not looked into the new diamond nozzles, it might be worth the cost. here is a you tube with a factory tour.

Back