Howard Precision sale: $1/lb aluminum plate drops

ALCA 5 has very similar properties but my understanding is that it machines more easily than Mic 6. I don't have lots of experience with which to compare the two. But I've milled and lathed cast aluminum and didn't find it terribly hard...

When it comes to 6061 vs either ALCA 5 or Mic 6, I'd say different materials for different purposes. (You wouldn't think of wrought steel and cast iron as interchangeable; they are good for different purposes.)

Long Roof - I just finished a small project that included bandsawing, milling (with HSS) and drilling/tapping a chunk of ½" thick MIC-6. No problems at all. Used kerosene/lard on the mill and Tap Magic for the threading.

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and placed my order. Will probably be awhile before I give them a good tryout but may find a couple of smaller projects to see how they handle.

@Long Roof a clearer answer: I've used HSS tools for both lathe and mill for cast aluminum, both end mills and hand-ground lathe tools. I've also used ground inserts in a face mill to get near mirror finish, and carbide inserts on the lathe to intentionally leave a satin finish on a handwheel to give it a nicer grip feel. I've also tapped and broached it.

Cast aluminum doesn't have stresses worked into it, so it doesn't tend to warp when heated/cooled. Cast toolplate is milled to a high degree of flatness.

MIC 6 is a 7000-series alloy (I don't know which one, but Zn is the main alloying metal in the 7000 series).

Alca 5 and ATP 5 are two trademarked types of plate from 5083 (Mg, Mn, Cr) alloy. Slightly lighter than MIC-6, about 1% less thermal conductivity if memory serves right. At least some people think easier to machine than MIC 6. I seem to recall that Alca 5 is vertical process and ATP 5 is horizontal process, but I might be wrong.

I asked for a quote and it came back at $2.20/lb. What's up?

It includes shipping, which depends on where you are and how much you ordered. If you ordered more than 70 lbs, ask them about splitting the order into multiple UPS shipments.

Or, if it was for pickup, was everything in the sale? Can just call them and ask. :)

I did contact them yesterday and got the answer. I had assumed that everything on the list was at the $1/lb. price but if you want that price,you have to select only from the plate list (cast or wrought stock). I submitted a new RFQ for some MIC 6 and wrought 6061 and am awaiting their reply. I will be picking up in person so no shipping.

Update: I sent a revised RFQ for 48 lbs. of aluminum plate, 28 lbs of MIC 6 and 20 lbs of wrought 6061. They replied with a quote for 58 lbs. of wrought 6061 plate @ $1.56/lb.

I see no indication that the sale had ended At $1.56/lb., it is still only about 1/4 of what I would pay at the usual vendors and I can pick it up, saving shipping costs so still a good deal but disappointing.

I will call tomorrow to get a better understanding of the situation.

Plate drops up to 12" x 60" in Mic 6, Alca 5, 6061, and M1

Were any of your selections outside that size range? At least those were the limitations when I placed my order. I haven't checked for an update.

I called and talked on the phone to finalize all my orders, including any substitutions for parts previously sold. They asked about my project constraints when proposing replacements.

(For my sale order, I included a note asking that they let me know if any of the pieces I selected were inadvertently not included in the sale.)

Were any of your selections outside that size range? At least those were the limitations when I placed my order. I haven't checked for an update.

I called and talked on the phone to finalize all my orders, including any substitutions for parts previously sold. They asked about my project constraints when proposing replacements.

(For my sale order, I included a note asking that they let me know if any of the pieces I selected were inadvertently not included in the sale.)
Did you request a quote when placing the order or just order by phone?

Back