Hydraulic press project

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I will need a hydraulic press for future projects. I might buy one this weekend at an auction. A little big for a bench top.

little press.jpg

Or I have most of the stuff I need to make one except for the hydraulic jack. The old stand for my lathe had stout end pieces that I think would work for a bench top press. I have two of them. I also have angle iron to make the other parts that I would need. The hydraulic jack would mount upside down on the top cross piece with a movable center piece to mount stuff on. I would be using a 10 ton give or take hydraulic jack.

IMG_4059.JPG

I could either add some angle iron to the legs or cut the legs off and put the angle on the bottom cross piece for more support. This will be used on a work bench and stored away when not in use. No room for a big floor mounted press in my garage/shop.

IMG_4060.JPG

And there is always another option. C-Bag has offered me a HF 12 ton press at a very reasonable price. I would buy it except that I don't know when I would be able to get over to his place and don't want to hold him up on selling it.

John is right, although I have seen a Russian guy modify one to operate inverted, it was a pain to do and required taking it totally apart
-Mark

I didn't know that. Tried the little 4 ton jack I use on my truck and it doesn't work upside down. I will have to rethink this.

I watched a few videos about how to make a bottle jack work upside down. Most involved adding a tube inside the jack to pickup the oil. Simple to do and not difficult. However the very first video I watched had the simplest solution.
. I thought that it was pretty brilliant. Didn't have to modify the internals of the jack or even take it apart. The fill grommet is replaced with a tube fitting and a tube runs from the fitting to a reservoir higher than the level of the jack. This keeps the jack completely filled with oil so that even in the inverted position the pump pickup hole is always covered with oil.

The press at the auction I went to yesterday morning had some issues and it was way too big to set on a bench yet it wasn't a full standing press either. So I bailed. I am back to making one.

Spent most of my free time today doing mundane stuff in my backyard orchard and making a trellis for the pink lady apple tree I picked up yesterday afternoon. I am going to espalier the tree.

IMG_4063.JPG

I know what's this got to do with my hydraulic press project? Well it is what took up most of my free time today before I could get back to the press.

I tried out the stand that I posted a picture of in a previous post at different heights and sitting on my various work benches. It is too tall the way it is. Will have to cut the legs off. Tried out a couple of different orientations for the leg supports. Made an executive decision and cut the legs just below the bottom cross piece. Will weld the legs on tomorrow if I have the time.

IMG_4062.JPG

TTTTTThat'sssss all for today.

I have a 10t bench hydraulic press and to be honest it can be a complete pain to use as there is no movable work rest/ table. So I have to use various chunks of metal to raise the work to the ram. Not complaining too much as it was free, but the floor standing style with the movable table (the ones you put pins through the uprights to locate the table) look way more versatile.

My press will have a movable work rest/table. Considering several different ways to make it strong enough. The sides already have some holes and I will add some more. I will be able to move the work rest/table up and down. I have some 2" angle iron that I will make it out of. Haven't got all the details figured out yet. The final configuration will depend on the Jack I use.

These are the jacks that I am considering. https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-hydraulic-low-profile-bottle-jack-56738.html and https://www.harborfreight.com/20-to...le-jack-56735.html?_br_psugg_q=hydraulic+jack They have good reviews and are a fraction of the cost at other stores. Found these on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Profil...lationExplorer&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

The 20 ton jacks would most likely tweak the frame if I ever applied the full force to something. The jacks on Ebay are slightly shorter than the HF jacks. Space will be at a premium in this press.

pretty sure I have a jack like that you can have for shipping ($16?). I've been dragging it around the US since we moved here from Australia over 11 years ago and still haven't found a use for it. Just checked, it's only 2 ton (4000kg), so probaly not enough for a press. Short though, only 8" fully retracted with 6 1/2" travel. Anyway, let me know if you'd like it.

Back