Hydraulic press project

Not that it's exactly the same situation but one year on and after an initial bleed, at least 50 complete extensions and retractions and two fills the cylinger in my 2-ton engine hoist still needs to be bled.

It's done except for the springs to retract the ram. I will pick some up the next time I go to town. It seems to work. It is very slow getting the ram to extend. I think that there are two reasons for this. One is that the pump mechanism is undersize for the amount of fluid that it needs to move. I compared it to my 4 ton jack and the pump mechanism appears to be the same size on both jacks. The 2nd reason is that the pump chamber needs time to refill with oil after each stroke. This takes a second or two. If you madly pump away nothing happens.

IMG_4076.JPG

The real test will come when I use it to press out the bearings and seals on the rear axle of the midget. That might not happen until next week. I have to get the shop cleaned up and create some space for a Honda 4x4 ATV. The rumor on good authority is that my son-in-law is bringing me one of his older ATV's to use around my place the next time he brings a load of cattle to the stockyard in Visalia. It has to be stored inside.

Back