I Finally Caught A Deal

Charles Spencer

Active User
Registered
Well OK, I did get a deal a couple of years ago on two Atlas 10" lathes that were disassembled in boxes for $200. I wasn't really interested in them for myself, but I couldn't pass up the deal. I sold one complete and one for parts and made some money. It's not the same as finding something for yourself though.

Today I answered a Craigslist ad for machine tools for $125. They were all jumbled together in the pictures but they looked interesting. Since I got up early I was the first to answer.

Glad I did.

There were these screwdrivers, wrenches, Allen wrenches, pliers, etc.

tools 1.jpg

And some sockets:

sockets.jpg

And then some interesting stuff:

boxes 1.jpg

boxes 2.jpg

centers 2.jpg

clamping kit1.jpg

clamping kit2.jpg

keys 1.jpg

mess 1.jpg

mills 1.jpg

reamers 2.jpg

shells 2.jpg

shells 1.jpg

side 2.jpg

By the way, does anybody know what these are? I have a whole box of them in various sizes.

part.jpg

Good score.

And you officially suck :)

Are the mistery bits mill power feed universal joints maybe?

Nice haul by the way :)

Stuart

Was there a spin indexer to go along with the plates?

That's enough mills to make it worthwhile to buy a tool grinder!

That's not a score, that's a treasure trove. Congratulations.

Great score! I have bought several lots like that. It is fun to sort through them, clean them up, research and ID the stuff you have no idea what it is, and educate yourself about how and where it is used. It is also nice to sell some of the extra stuff you have no use or place for and it helps to pay for all the cool stuff you get to keep for yourself. Way better than someone just trashing it all. I love antique tools with the previous owner's initials on them, and wish I could speak with them. The stories I could hear... I clean some of them up like new and put them back into use, and save the patina on others that was earned over many decades of hard usage and long storage, and I smile every time I see them saved and preserved for the next generation.

Are the mystery bits mill power feed universal joints maybe?

I don't know, but I don't think so. There are too many different sizes. And some have round keyed holes in the bottom and some have hexes. And some have no openings. The first picture of two cardboard boxes has a box full of them on the left.

I didn't get a spin indexer with the plates, but I can probably work around that. I do have an import rotary table and Little Machine Shop sells an indexer for it. Or I could probably make something to fit it myself.

A happy aside: I had sent away for some Chinese involute gear cutters. I got an email from the vendor last night saying there would be a delay. Would I like to wait or get a refund? I held off on answering. Today I got a bunch of cutters from Union Twist Drill in Athol, Mass. So I replied that I'd take the refund.

Since I saved that money I'd guess that everything actually cost me $25 out of pocket.

Oh, and the guy I bought them from just got them because he had bid on two cabinets from a 100 year old machine shop in Hartford. I reckon that he probably sold me the tools for what he paid for the cabinets, which was what he actually wanted.

A black hole and you have a large amount of vacume! AWSOME score!

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Back