I have a Van Norman #12 enroute

cnczky

budding scraper hand
Registered
Hi all,

Just purchased a Van Norman 12 from a gentleman on Ebay.
It should arrive early this coming week. I am stoked. My boss is going to let me dismantle it at work and I will get it home one piece at a time.
I believe it comes with a vice and wrenches. No collets or tooling with it,but I have a Hardinge TL to make those up.
If all goes well I will have it in place in a month or so. Will post pictures and document the process as can.

Bill

Awesome!

A couple of us own #12's on here, myself included. Mine is apart in my basement awaiting me making a hoist from the joists
to set it up.

The top #12 expert around I know is Cal Haines. He is an awesme guy and helps everyone.
I will hook you up if you want.

Here is mine going down my basement steps:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...-Trip-Into-Basement&highlight=norman+basement

Looking forward to the photos.

Nelson

Hey Nelson,

I just spent my x-mas 'break' moving a bridgeport into my basement. I used 4x4s, a chain hoist and house jacks to make an overhead beam to haul up the parts. SOmething like this, except I didn't bolt anything, just put clamps onto the joists so the 4x4 didn't slide.

http://bridgeport.askmisterscience.com/hoist.jpg

-Dean

Awesome!

A couple of us own #12's on here, myself included. Mine is apart in my basement awaiting me making a hoist from the joists
to set it up.

The top #12 expert around I know is Cal Haines. He is an awesme guy and helps everyone.
I will hook you up if you want.

Here is mine going down my basement steps:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...-Trip-Into-Basement&highlight=norman+basement

Looking forward to the photos.

Nelson

You were lucky that held.

My process is a lot more involved. I am doubling the joist with a 2x8, bolting the 2d joist to the existing one, then, using a 2" steel pipe.
The pipe and joists will be sandwiched together with all-thread (1/2"). The bolts are hex head 1/2" that are 4" long with washers, lock washers and nuts.
A come-along will serve as the hoist.

I do NOT want a 350 part of the mill crashing down to the concrete floor. Either the machine or I or both will
suffer damage.

Besides, I can use it again to hoist a machine vise.

Nelson

Hi,

Where do all these #12's come from? I have never seen one for sale around my area so I'm feeling very jealous!:biggrin::biggrin:

dalee

The first one I bought was from a guy in Pennsy. He was getting a divorce and had to clear it out.
He had bought it from Dave Ficken and it came off a Navy ship.

The second one was from a guy in Philadelphia. He was a professor in some entrepreneurial enterprise on campus.
It was running and had previously been in his basement.

There is one on PM advertised now that is in Michigan for $500.

Nelson

The machine located in basement. I broke the machine down using a crane at work and offloaded at home using an engine hoist. The sub assmblies were taken to the basement using a refrigerator dolly. The main assemblies were painted with rustoleum smoke grey. After drying the main sub assemblies were assembled together after lubrication. I have ordered a new lip seal for the spindle box. I also replaced the sight glasses with .250" polycarbonate cut on a waterjet and sweged in place.
Assembling the spindle and the electricals are next.

The machine located in basement. I broke the machine down using a crane at work and offloaded at home using an engine hoist. The sub assmblies were taken to the basement using a refrigerator dolly. The main assemblies were painted with rustoleum smoke grey. After drying the main sub assemblies were assembled together after lubrication. I have ordered a new lip seal for the spindle box. I also replaced the sight glasses with .250" polycarbonate cut on a waterjet and sweged in place.
Assembling the spindle and the electricals are next.

I can understand the table, ram, etc....but you're saying you took the whole column down the stairs on a refrigerator dolly? I bet a modern fridge is about 1/3 of what that weighs....how did you keep it from taking you for a ride?

P.s.....we need pics ;)

(This site is quickly becoming THE place to go for VN stuff)

I can understand the table, ram, etc....but you're saying you took the whole column down the stairs on a refrigerator dolly? I bet a modern fridge is about 1/3 of what that weighs....how did you keep it from taking you for a ride?

P.s.....we need pics ;)

(This site is quickly becoming THE place to go for VN stuff)
I separated the column from the base with an engine picker. then I loaded the base on a refrigerator dolly, got it to the landing laid it down and eased it downstairs using a couple of ropes tied to the dolly in order to save our backs. The entire machine was taken down this way in major assemblies. the base, then the column, then the knee, and so on. the cherry picker or engine hoist was used to get everything reassembled.

Back