[How do I?] I Need Info. On My Newly Aquiered Delta Milwaukee Surface Grinder

Ed ke6bnl

Registered
Registered
I just took home a surface grinder Delta Milwaukee. old unit. I need info. on how to remove the wheel?? really all info and literature on the operation of the tool would be helpful, thanks ED Seems to work ok and I adj. gibbs and runs smooth

Take some pics of the wheel and hub, I made my own puller that removes the hub and wheel unit from the taper, the threads should be left handed, use a face spanner wrench to remove the locknut, it's left handed threads :)
Strange that machine has gibs, my harig is a floating table, has a V and a flat way for each axis except the Z

this is what the wheel attached looks like. I did remove the outer ring and the wheel comes off. BUT I do believe that this metal bug should come off a tapered spindle some how. The flange ring is right hand thread and the allen is right hand. the wheel turns clockwise from this front view. It does have Gibbs with a rack and pinion .20150718_092114.jpg

2015-07-18 09.22.30.jpg

Last edited:
yep, just use a spanner wrench to take off the outter collar and the wheel will come off the adapter, not 100% about getting the adapter off but it appears that its the same as all the other grinders, you need a puller, you can make one on a lathe

Huh I posted this message like an hour ago it didn't show up

The puller I made is just a threaded piece that threads into the adapter, and has a threaded bar that you tighten against the spindle that will pop the adapter off the spindle very easy to make, you may have to thread your on the outside of the adapter unless it's threaded internally

thanks for your reply, Mine does not have threads on the main dia. it has a theaded 3/8 x 16 threaded bolt hole and a bolt and this thick female threaded washer goes on the internal hex head bolt. my guess is that you tighten the bolt all the way downk bottom it out and that exposes and 1/4 slot in the top of the thick washer then you tighten down on it to free the flange. I tried that without any success but did not want to force anything and was hoping someone had done it succesfuly.

As can be seen in the picture the left side of the slots in the nut have been wacked by a hammer to remove the nut, do the same thing with a piece of dropped aluminum if you are worried about damage to the nut. I once owned a similar Delta grinder, nice little garage machine but will not hold the tenth accuracy that home shop guys shoot for without careful preperation. Let the the spindle run for 20-30 minutes to warm up before grinding anything and do not turn it off before you are done.

well I had the right idea but wanted to be safe. I would think that some antisieze would be helpful when putting it back on.

2015-07-18 20.26.16.jpgthis is what is in the center of the hub with the threaded thick washer removed the very center dark area is female 3/8 x 16 female thread.

First see if you can get somthing in behind the hub and bump it off. If that fails take the wheel off and use a 2 or 3 jaw puller. But it shouldn't take much th pop it loose.

Back