I put a DRO on my RF-30 clone, big whoop.

bulgie

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Late to the game here, all the cool kids have had DROs on their mills since the dawn of time. I doubt my install breaks any new ground, but I took the damn pictures so I'm gonna share 'em.

I got the cheapest scales I could find, Sino brand 5 µM "slim" glass, off ebay. The slim scales are recommended if you want to mount your Y-axis the way I did, it fits easily under the saddle. On my clone, I needed 520 mm for X, and 220 mm for Y. YMMV (your mill may vary). I'm not using any Z-axis so far, but I can add it (and/or W-axis for the quill) later if I want. The Touch DRO unit has four inputs, ready when I am.

The scales came with only one bracket each, which were useless. I made my brackets out of 1/4" thick steel because that's what I had handy. Way overkill but that's better than underkill. ;)

The X-axis scale and read head were super easy, just drill/tap two holes in the front of the table. The threaded holes to mount the read head were already there in the saddle, they're there for the thing the travel stops bump against. Yes I lost that function, no travel stops anymore, but I'm OK with that.
Lots of people have mounted their X scale to the back of the table, but then I'd lose about an inch of Y-axis travel when the scale hits the column. I don't often use all the travel, but when you need it you NEED it.

I think there might be another option that keeps all your travel and keeps the travel stop feature, if you mount the scale to the saddle and the read head to the table, but I don't like it when the read head moves, dragging its cable back and forth. Also, keeping the opening in the scale facing down, to keep swarf out, would be tricky with that arrangement. Happy to be corrected if anyone knows an elegant way to get that done.

I used the included guard/cover on the X-axis, just because it made things line up a bit easier, but I don't think it actually does much guarding. It does make the scales less "slim" so you might consider leaving the guard off on yours. Yuriy of Touch DRO says he never uses the guards, just keep the opening facing down or away from the spray of chips and coolant.

X-axis DRO scale.jpg

This scale is bolted to a machined surface, and I set it exactly flush with the top of the table, so when I ran a dial indicator over its full travel, it was already right on, no adjusting or shimming required.

The Y-axis was a lot more work. Here's the initial mockup, before I made brackets:

Y-axis scale mockup.jpg

There's a machined surface on the end of the saddle, perfect for bolting the bracket to. Just a few holes in a piece of flat bar, oh and the bar needs to be "scalloped" to clear the leadscrew bearing bracket, and a scallop for the gib:

cheap holesaw FTW!.jpg

The cheap holesaw easily powered through the 1/4" stainless (free from a friend's scrap pile), even left a nice surface finish, not that it matters.

Here's one showing why it needed to be scalloped:

Y-axis done.jpg

Tapping cast iron is usually drama-free, but I did use drilling and tapping guides to keep the holes "normal" (perpendicular)

tap guide.jpg

I bolted the read-head bracket to the cast base of the mill. I used a stainless angle 1/8" thick, cut out of a square tube (from the same scrap pile as the other bracket). Sawing up a square tube is not the easiest way to get some steel angle, but it saved a trip to the steel-gettin' place.

I considered two places to put it, inside (to the right) of the head, and outside (to the left). Settled on the outside because the bracket will protect the read head better from getting whacked. It's just bolted to that raised lip around the top of the base, but I did file it flat locally, so it's not bolted to paint and bondo. I spaced it further to the left than in this pic, by putting .180" spacers on the mounting bolts between the bracket and the read head. That gets the flat side of the angle bracket fully in contact with the flat top of that lip on the mill base.

read-head bracket candidate #1, inside.jpg
read-head bracket candidate #2, outside.jpg

The spacers also bring the lower bracket in alignment with the upper, close to flush on the outer edge.

I ran an indicator over both brackets in both up/down and side to side directions, took a little tweaking. More work than the X-axis for sure, but this only needs to be done once.

Leveling the scale, up-down direction.jpg

A bit awkward to get in there, needed 2" travel indicator because I needed to retract the indicator to pass over the saddle, between the front and rear measurements, but I was able to run the indicator over the full travel of the Y. I went back and forth a few times to convince myself the setup was repeatable, and it is to within the precision of this indicator. I settled for under .002" difference over the full range of travel. Someone correct me if that's not considered good enough, but I don't see any issues so far.

As you can see, I left guard off on this one, effectively making the scale "slimmer". It didn't look to me like the guard would really be guarding anything.

I tapped M4x0.7 holes in the 1/4" thick bracket for the scale to bolt to, but if you don't want to tap such tiny holes, you could just drill a clearance hole and use a nut on the outside. Actually the best of all would be to use a bolt whose head fits tight in the slot in the scale, so it can't rotate, then you tighten it from the outside with a nut. Normal M7 bolt heads don't fill up the slot though, they can rotate, so I would have had to make some sort of custom shim to keep the bolt heads from rotating. Would be nicer to be able to tighten it from the outside after it's all assembled, necessary for "tramming it in", but since this is a one-time task, I can live with the slightly awkward placement of the bolt head. A wrench does fit in there. Socket-head cap screws might be easier, but I didn’t have any in the right length

Well that's about all I can think of. I might be dreaming to think this write-up will actually be of use to "future generations", but I'm jazzed to have it done, and writing it up has been fun for me.

Many thanks to Yuriy at Touch DRO and to everyone else here who has supplied info, tips and inspiration.

bulgie out

Last edited:
Nice install. Hoping to get to mine in the next few weeks, so this is helpful. Thanks for posting.

You will find the DRO really useful. Way easier to use than dials. + all the functions available reduce the chance of errors and greatly speed work.

You will find the DRO really useful. Way easier to use than dials. + all the functions available reduce the chance of errors and greatly speed work.
Oh yeah, lovin' it already. Not having to count handwheel rotations for long traverses, and I never did really firgure out how to edge-find on both sides of a part, using handwheels, dealing with the backlash. Is it even possible?

Plus the dials on my RF-30 clone are really crappy. Believe it or not, there wasn't even a pointer on the stationary part, you know the little hashmark that points to the numbers on the dial? I assume it was only painted on, and wiping with rags full of chips over the years rubbed the mark off. I made an indent with a chisel as a pointer, can't believe they skipped that step at the factory. Anyway, not my problem anymore, dials are obsolete now, yay.

First real project involves a 5-bolt hole pattern, just waiting for the piece of steel to arrive.

This is a fantastic write up. I will definitely be referring back to it many times. Thanks!

Would like also like to add a DRO to my RF 30 and I was also looking at adding a power feed in place of the left hand crank. Researched the manual for the Grizzly H8370 https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-power-feed-for-mill-drills-alsgs/h8370 which specifies limit switches installed on the front vertical surface of the bed. Wondering if it's possible to also have a DRO slide and pickup installed in front too? Or does the DRO have to go on the rear of the bed?

Would like also like to add a DRO to my RF 30 and I was also looking at adding a power feed in place of the left hand crank. Researched the manual for the Grizzly H8370 https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-power-feed-for-mill-drills-alsgs/h8370 which specifies limit switches installed on the front vertical surface of the bed. Wondering if it's possible to also have a DRO slide and pickup installed in front too? Or does the DRO have to go on the rear of the bed?
A lot of people put the x-axis scale on the back, but I put mine on the front, because of the cost of over an inch of lost Y-axis travel when the scale hits the column. I might have taken away the option to mount limit switches there, or it won't be easy, but power feed is not on the horizon for me — cross that if I come to it.

I think you make a good point about y travel.

Timely post as I just unpacked my scales and DRO!
Nice work on the installation and thanks for the detailed write up.
Takes a lot of time to do these type of posts and the effort is appreciated. Plus saves me from having to sift through a a bunch of inane u-tube videos.

Still debating on the z axis install but will post the details when done.

Nice install.

I have an RF30 clone as well and installed a Grizzly DRO 20 years ago. My strategy was essentially the same as yours; x axis scale at the front and y axis scale at the left. My x axis scale selection was limited to 700 mm so I mounted a piece of 3/8" x 1-1/2" ground bar stock to the mill table and mounted the scale on that. The scale is proud of the table by 2" on either end.

For the y axis scale, I used a piece of 3/4" x 2-1/2" aluminum bar stock mounted essentially the same as you did. I cut out the notch for the lead screw bearing housing as you did and I also relieved the mill base for clearance of the housing which gave me an extra 4-3/4" of travel in the x direction .The read head is mounted on some aluminum angle, which I bent to match the draft of the vertical side of the base.

I bought the 3 axis DRO so I also have a scale mounted for the z axis. I made a special mounting plate for the scale which is screwed to the bracket for the spindle stop. I replaced the spindle stop rod with a length of 5/8" stainless rod which runs through the hole in the head for the spindle stop rod, appropriately drilled and reamed to act as a guide bushing. The upper end of the rod is fastened to a bracket which in turn is fastened to the 5/16" x 1-1/2" scale mount. the read head is mounted to an angle aluminum bracket which is mounted to the mill head. I mounted the spindle stop rod to two brackets which are mounted in turn to the two brackets for the scale. A tab for stopping the spindle can be swung out of the way or located either above or below the spindle stop boss to limit either downward or upward travel.

My Grizzly kit came with aluminum extrusions for scale guards which I modified and mounted to my scale mounting bars. In twenty years, I have never had a read failure with the DRO.

RF30 DRO 1.JPGRF30 DRO 2.JPGRF30 DRO 3.JPGRF30 DRO 4.JPG

Back