I Welded Some Unknown 400 Series Stainless Today- GTAW

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I got the task of welding an unknown grade of 400 series stainless steel used for making precision cutting edges for a brand of processing machine that i will leave nameless.

My machine is a Miller Idealarc 250P(AC-DC TIG & STICK Welder), with a Lincoln High Frequency Box with foot control, and Water Cooled Torch & Cooler. :biggrin:

Here's a picture of the Rig,

Miller 250P.JPG

the material is 8mm thick.
i welded the project at 50 amps DCEN
the filler rod was 1/8" ER309L
the shielding gas is straight Argon @ about 14 CFH
i didn't preheat the material, but i did weld the piece on an aluminum slab.
my intention was to reduce the warpage, the aluminum being a make shift heat sink.
the method worked better than i anticipated.
i'll have to keep it in mind for the next time:thinking:

here's a picture of some of my warm up pieces made of the same material, the material on top was a broken blade, i followed the contours of the break responsible for producing the mountain range effect in the weld.
i was pleased after making a few operational adjustments.
tiggin 1.jpg
tiggin 2.jpg
the second picture came out a lot blurrier than i thought :angry:

if you have experience in welding 400 series, i'd like to hear your experiences!
anyone is encouraged to comment!
thanks for reading!

tiggin 1.jpg tiggin 2.jpg Miller 250P.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work ! I had to smile at this part of your sig line however: "If it broke once, it WILL break again!"

Hi Guys
I've welded lots of stainless 300 and 400 series. One just resently on a set of spindles for a customers pedal car I'm building.

f45eb0cc058215f92276bd49b86f3a61_zpsd990f74f.jpg

f45eb0cc058215f92276bd49b86f3a61_zpsd990f74f.jpg

Nice work ! I had to smile at this part of your sig line however: "If it broke once, it WILL break again!"

Hi randyc,
the saying is not mine.
i was fortunate to have many mentors growing up, one of which was a WWII Ordnance tech. He worked with bomb arming devices. He had a million stories.
a very calculated and precise man, like i never met since. he still believed in his mind he was working on stuff that went boom by his actions, very slow and methodical- 0 deviation from specs.
I leave it in my sig line as tribute to him, he was the single most inspiring man i have yet to meet.
the man could write encyclopedias of machine knowledge, i was lucky enough to capture a thimbleful for myself.

i work on things with the intention of disproving the statement.
It's a tall order.
:))

Your vary welcome Mike. I forgot to mention, I use about 1 amp per thousanth. And that does vary if I'm using pulse. Was this a repair you had to fill ? Most of my work is new fab, I don't get to repair very often. I think it would give me a wider range of experience if I did. Are you going to have to machine what your welding ?

Your vary welcome Mike. I forgot to mention, I use about 1 amp per thousanth. And that does vary if I'm using pulse. Was this a repair you had to fill ? Most of my work is new fab, I don't get to repair very often. I think it would give me a wider range of experience if I did. Are you going to have to machine what your welding ?

Thanks for the rule of thumb on the amps- good info!!!
i wish i did more new stuff, i do mostly repairs on broken stuff.
occasionally i get to do some fabbin' usually in 304 sometimes 308

The blade i did the actual repair on was cracked in a non critical area.
i v ground both sides and welded both sides on the repair and flapper disced it smooth.
i won't need to do any machining besides grinding it flat.
hopefully the numbskulls that break these blades will treat them with a little more respect, but i'm not holding my breath!:jester:

I have a very similar welder, the idealarc 300/300. No hi-freq start box. Had not heard of this. Is this an after market add on and what would it cost me?

Karl

I have a very similar welder, the idealarc 300/300. No hi-freq start box. Had not heard of this. Is this an after market add on and what would it cost me?

Karl

Hi Karl
so is your Idealarc a scratch start ? I worked with a scratch start many years ago. And I can also turn my Miller so it's a lift start. They all seem to have add on's for your power unit. Hi freak start is a nice convenient feature that I would not want to have to do without.
I also have an older Arco 300/300 but have parked that over at a friends shop for the past 15 years..... Miller has spoild me :D

Karl

Hi Karl,
many manufacturers made Hi Freq boxes.
i don't know the market is back there, but out on the west coast a used hi freq box may run around $500-600.
funny enough, you can buy a fully outfitted tig welder w/ hi freq & water cooler for anywhere from 600-1000 used:thinking:

Back