I would like to be able to use somebody wood lathe that has a chuck

Who me?

Registered
Registered
In the Antelope Valley California, or San Fernando Valley. I have a Baldor Buffer In my garage you are welcome to use to polish metal.

I have a metal part from a drill press that I need to sand smooth, I would bring my own sandpaper of course.

View attachment 312981

Good luck on that . :) My co-workers have ruined 2 lathes polishing with sandpaper . Don't have the common courtesy to even cover the ways . :rolleyes:

Bed ways of the lathe . They don't like grit . ;)

Looks like a good job for a wood lathe that has a chuck, so don't dismiss the wood spinners if you strike out with the metal spinners.

I would just do it by hand. Those recesses may be annoying & may get rounded off too much at the edges if it matters to you.

I would just do it by hand. Those recesses may be annoying & may get rounded off too much at the edges if it matters to you.
I wouldn't have reached out and asked for help if I wanted you to continue doing it by hand.

I wouldn't have reached out and asked for help if I wanted you to continue doing it by hand.

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or if that's a typo but nope, I wouldn't be doing it for you by hand. Good luck on your search.

It looks like the maker already had someone trying to clean up the casting the same way, because the edges of the milled-out sections already look quite rounded. Actual cutting operations would be required to remove the rest of the surface irregularities, so I assume this is just to improve it's appearance a bit.

I was thinking when I replied that it's a little surprising how no common tools can simply grab a part this size to spin it so you can hit it with some paper to clean it up. I'm definitely going to be making a backplate to use one of my Clausing's chucks on the crappy little wood lathe just for this sort of thing when the need arises. Giving that thing any purpose besides the wood turning I don't anticipate doing would be great.

Back