Idea for holding coin on mini lathe

How about a step chuck like this?

Hi Cascao,

The looks neat, I haven't seen that before.
It looks like it's split, and so must have a taper shank, and get pulled into a spindle taper by a draw-bar?
Is that one a 5C collet taper?

It may not help elton since his sieg C0 does not seem to have a tapered spindle, but still interesting.
Thanks for posting it!

eltonc,

I saw a few other spider links but could not find them before.

here's a few:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/24007-Chuck-spider-(pic)
http://www.royalprod.com/product.cfm?catID=12

there was an even simpler design that I cannot find again.....
it was basically three pieces of pipe that were faced off to exactly the same length, then had a strip cut out of the side of each. They ended up looking like long "C" shapes.
The "C" was made to grab onto each chuck jaw and sat "under" the work, between the chuck face and the work, and between each jaw and the lathe centre-line, and spaced the work out to the end of the jaws.
The big advantage of this type is that they were a "spring fit" onto the jaws, and didn't need to be held in place while tightening the chuck.
I will keep looking for those pictures......

(again could use four pipe pieces for a 4-jaw chuck)

brino

1- You can turn one like this in your 3 jaw chuck. You do not need draw bar and taper thing.

2- Mark where jaw 1 is clamping.

3- Out of a lathe cut the 3 grooves until near the centre.

4- Clamp on 3 jaw chuck again on the same place to keep things centered.

5- When you tight the chuck, the coin will be hold.

Hi everyone ,

Is there are better method to hold a coin without using collet? Since my sieg c0 lathe cant not use it.

I have tried to hold by chuck but cutting tool will crash to it.

Thank.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Many variables, depending on what cuts you need to make, but some people use epoxy or superglue, and even 2 sided tape to temporarily adhere a coin to a flat face, either a faceplate, or simply a piece of stock faced flat. A little heat, or solvent and it will come right off.

I like Tony's question. What type of cuts are you doing? How many are you doing? What accuracy do you need to keep?

To all of you:

After reading all suggestion , making a set.of spider should solve my problem. Thank for all of you guyS!!

I like Tony's question. What type of cuts are you doing? How many are you doing? What accuracy do you need to keep?

Actually , i want to make a spy coin which just hollowing the coin ( what kind of cut do you think? )

Actually , i want to make a spy coin which just hollowing the coin ( what kind of cut do you think? )

I don't have a clue. Honestly. What modifications would you want to make to a coin?

I'm trying to help..... if you don't want help...don't post.

Not everyone is thinking the same way you are.

Back