Ideas for tangential cutter tool holder?

That is much better. At least here there is something holding the tool.

"Billy G"
This was my inspiration for iteration 2:
IMG_4766_zpsfc15b5b9.jpg~320x480

He has a few other pics in that gallery, and seems to be doing well with it, so I think my iteration 2 would be a viable option, but I think iteration 3 would be easier to manufacture.

How much meat is left on that clamp over the square tool?
The tool comes to the outer most upper tip of the block and slopes away from it at a 12 degree angle in both directions. The block is 20 mm thick, so by the bottom of the block there's a decent amount of material.

The way I envision making it is cutting the slot in both blocks and then shaving the thickness until they fit just right.

Now I see it in the drawing. Very faint. I see the meat now.
It's not much, but it is there.
If I'm looking at it right, an advantage of this is that the torque of the cutter on the post is reduced because it's closer in.

The cutting edge is also much closer to the bulk of the material of the holder than my current tool holders.

I apologize for my ignorance or for it it has been in one of the tangential toolholder threads and I missed it, but what is the point? Is the benefit simply that you pull the cutting point in closer to the fulcrum and better support it?

I apologize for my ignorance or for it it has been in one of the tangential toolholder threads and I missed it, but what is the point? Is the benefit simply that you pull the cutting point in closer to the fulcrum and better support it?
As I understand it, you can use square tool bit stock, grind a single angle, and get good results.
I'm hoping there will also be some repeatability to it; grind it, mount it a certain way, and it will be repeatable to some degree to the next time you grind it and mount it.

I think the angle of the cutter greatly reduces the cutter flex. Forces are transmitted downward through the cutter's length as opposed to perpendicular to the cutter. But that's just my guess.

Short answer -- The tool is no longer sticking out of the holder perpendicular to the work. By standing it on end it is much more rigid.

"Billy G"

Thank you all. That is sort of what I expected, but I figured I would ask.

In my opinion, there are several benefits to the tangential tool-holder.

1) As has already been pointed out the rigidity is very good.
2) Sharpening is easy, even trivial.
3) Properly designed, the tool-holder allows both turning and facing cuts without repositioning.

I've found that the quality of my work has gone up as a result of using a tangential holder. That's probably due to the fact that I'm more likely to sharpen the bit more often when it only takes a few seconds and it's so easy to get consistently good results.

Jim

Back