If I Only Had The Space...

...and don't forget "all the other guys on the forum have one (or two)!"

-brino

Wish I had the room too. I ran one 30 yrs ago , it too was a very large one I think it ws at least a 12' table , I sub contracted and built hold down clamps for it. The holes were 1" in diameter for the hold downs , we used tool steal 3" x 3" by 6" for each one made a dozen . Had them hardened and drawn , made working on the shaper so much easier . They locked the work down when tightened . Planed many bearing blocks for US steal and pipe . Good job there I learned lots of tricks from some of the old machinist who worked there. Welded up jernals on the steal rollers and we did lots of there maintainece at that shop. Spray metal was pretty new back then to us. Worked 70 hours a week for straight pay too. They took our rate and cut it to cheat but we needed the money . See what these old machines do , bring old memories up.

It's a common story: the machine is too big for hobbyists and obsolete for production. Meaning its value is that of scrap. Which is, what, $.10/lb? If so, $800 should get it.

Back