Ilion rebuild kit for 10 L SB lathe.

cgcwmec627

Registered
Registered
Purchasing a rebuild kit for my lathe seeing as I started on the tail stock and now I'm going to do the rest.
All information I've gathered has Ilion as a good source for a rebuild kit.
This is my first time doing this so I would welcome any advice from those that have done it already,things to look out for,tricks to make it easier/avoid mistakes etc.

I just finished a total rebuild on my 10L - great kit, invaluable as David wrote, but there are noticeable voids in some of the chapters. Most notable was the info on the gearboxes - depending on which one you have - there are some supplemental sources that will make things a bit easier. Another area is disassembly of the spindle / gears / bearings etc - super easy if you have a large press, but it becomes a bit of a head scratcher when you don't. Attached is a copy of the gearbox stuff (assuming you have a single tumbler version)
getting ready to post a rebuild thread here as well.

Attachments

• Gear Box File--Master.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, do these heavy 10 models have tapered roller bearings in the headstock?

Definitely not - when was your machine built? It would / should have either bronze sleeve bearings or cast iron segmented bearings that are integral to the headstock and the bearing caps.

The rebuild kit I ordered from Ilion came today and included a extra complimentary book not listed in the offering,"Basic maintenance for the vintage south bend lathe".
Good read.It is a thorough manual on taking care of your lathe and includes details such as modern oil equivalents to the original oils.Very handy book.
The"Guide to renovating the south bend lathe" is a great resource,lots of images of each step.
Makes planning the project simpler with a good guide

Attachments

• 20240228_205929.jpg
    20240228_205929.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 7
I just finished a total rebuild on my 10L - great kit, invaluable as David wrote, but there are noticeable voids in some of the chapters. Most notable was the info on the gearboxes - depending on which one you have - there are some supplemental sources that will make things a bit easier. Another area is disassembly of the spindle / gears / bearings etc - super easy if you have a large press, but it becomes a bit of a head scratcher when you don't. Attached is a copy of the gearbox stuff (assuming you have a single tumbler version)
getting ready to post a rebuild thread here as well.
Excellent write up on the single tumbler gearbox thanks for sharing that. I recently went thru mine and wish I had seen it before. A whole different but related subject is how to deal with worn parts. I shared some of my experience on a post over on PM. Worn shafts and a redesign/rebuild of old style tumbler to use needle beaaring.

Back