Resolved Images are now smaller since I have donated

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I see that after a donation to the silver, that the images are 600x600 (on the donation page).. And it looks like I am getting that.

Before I donated I was getting large images, and if I clicked, I could enlarge the image.. So why as a registered user w/out paying do I get a larger image?
Also, are my images just displayed smaller, or is my upload resized?

Good question. Yes we are experimenting with some settings and features related to images and uploads. You are likely seeing some changes working out in process as we resolve some behind the scenes issues.

There are two reasons for this: storage and user experience. Storage really isn't the issue, but it could be in the future if we don't have consistency, so I'm trying to establish that across user group permissions.

User experience: this is what you are referring to in your ticket submission. We have had some issues with size restrictions across different permission groups (i.e., Donating vs. Non-Donating levels) and how those different sizes behave consistently with the software. We are making an effort to standardize the sizes across permission groups. Currently, we have temporarily set the sizes allowed to 720px480p across the board and limited the size of images to 5MB. There are potential conflicts with permission groups based on legacy permissions that may pop up from time to time. It looks like there are issues with Silver, thanks for reporting this.

Be patient as we sort things out. The idea here is that in the near future all members will be working to one standard that works for the best user experience across the board. In addition, we want to make sure that donating members continue to enjoy privileges above and beyond those that are non-donating members. The temporary settings are aimed to provide the best baseline experience for all users. As you can see we increased that for everyone, but while we sort out the issues, not everyone may enjoy those changes immediately.

Now that you have pointed out a potential problem, I will investigate the Silver level permissions for any legacy exceptions that exist that I may have missed in making some of these changes. I'll reach back out to you and determine if any of the issues are resolved.

Upvote 0
I think the bigger problem is that the paid is smaller than the unpaid.
so maybe registered shouldn't have the bigger images. Or I'd be sorry I paid.

Upvote 0
I think the bigger problem is that the paid is smaller than the unpaid.
so maybe registered shouldn't have the bigger images. Or I'd be sorry I paid.
Yeah, I got that loud and clear. Like I said, there are some inconsistencies that we have stumbled across that have been around a long time. This is one of them.

Check your image sizes now. I've made some adjustments and would like to see if you notice any differences.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I got that loud and clear. Like I said, there are some inconsistencies that we have stumbled across that have been around a long time. This is one of them.

Check your image sizes now. I've made some adjustments and would like to see if you notice any differences.
got ya, I didn't get that clearly. sorry.

Upvote 0
ok, my old images are visible as full size, but the new images are small, so it must have been resized on upload, and is not capable of being zoomed in on.

Let me try uploading it again here.
20211206_120455.jpg

Upvote 0
A long time ago, There was an add-on purchased that would sift through all the images in the database and compress them. We get auto updates on it, so I'll check out that the settings haven't magically changed.

Upvote 0
nope, still a small image.
lets try this, I downloaded it from HM, and I uploaded it https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/cleaning-my-new-to-me-gauge-pins-holder-fail.95746/

View attachment 387592
I checked these images on both threads you refer to here using a test user account for every level of membership. They all behave the same way. The image above in this thread shows no change in size when you click on it to view it in a separate window. In the link you included above, the first image in that thread is identical in size to the image in this post, but when you click on it, it increases to its larger, original size.

I'm assuming that in your test above, you downloaded the image from the post in the link above and then attached it here in this thread.

If that is true, then the following phenomenon (difference in original image size to this one) you are describing is explained in the following way.

In other words, how did it come to be that the identical images display different sizes when you click on them?

1) The original image file was larger than the one above. It was uploaded in October of this year with excessive file size based on your prior member status - which was "Registered".

2) When you downloaded the image and uploaded it here in this thread, your uploaded image was managed by the new settings that I implemented these last two days - see my explanation above on trying to level out the settings across all member groups.

So, you are right, for some unknown reason to me, the Registered, non-paying members, were able to upload large images prior to yesterday. This is a problem for donating members. It was never intended to be this way, but because of unknown past issues I can't explain, it was that way.

As previously explained, Dabbler and I are trying to clean up some of the behind the scenes permissions issues that are causing problems, like this one that you have pointed out. As stated, the aim is to create the best user experience for all members (fast loading, consistent image sizes and formats) while ensuring that we don't compromise performance and privileges for all of us long term.

For now, we will keep the settings as they are. As we get an inventory of the issues that come up, we will make some tweaks along the way and provide a full write up on all of the changes in the near future.

Upvote 0
Back