1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Impact Socket

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by ddickey, Jan 7, 2017.

1. ddickey

ddickey United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Red Wing
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

Would I be able to turn and drill/tap an impact socket? The brand is Masterforce from Menards, the description says nothing about being heat treated. I'd like a hex holder for my tailstock round die holder.

2. john.oliver35

john.oliver35 United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Olathe
    State:
    Kansas

-Return to Top-

ddickey,

You probably can - I made a spanner from a cheap Home Depot impact socket last year. This was to re-install the bearing on my Rockwell mill, which was torn apart, so I milled this socket with my little Sherline mill! Less than .010" DOC and it took forever, but did it with a HSS end mill.
    20170107_180528.jpg

Reeltor, Ulma Doctor and brino like this.
  3. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Impact sockets are heat treated, but are not especially hard, instead they are tempered to a very tough state so they will not be brittle and crack under the pounding. They are machinable but will probably require carbide tooling. A good surface finish might be difficult. Tapping might also be difficult, choose a smaller percentage of thread depth like perhaps 55%. Those are general guidelines as I see them, but there are lots of tool makers out there, and their products are not all the same, sometimes by wide margins...

Tozguy, Ulma Doctor and 4gsr like this.
  4. Ulma Doctor

Ulma Doctor Infinitely Curious Active Member

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

HF impact sockets cut like butter with HSS tooling, the masterforce brand may be similar
    as Bob said they are not hard, but they are varying degrees of tough between manufacturers
    i have not tried to tap them, but i'd consider other methods unless tapping was the very last option (or something i'd have to prove to myself ;))

in my experience, the less expensive sockets don't have a very long service life, post modification.
    but i expect that in the first place, and am rarely let down:)

firestopper and Bob Korves like this.
  5. ddickey

ddickey United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Red Wing
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the replies. I ended up taking apart a hand hex die holder and turning it down on the lathe. Then I made a piece that fits into my current round die holder that holds the hex. Came out pretty good. The only thing that really stunk was the material I had was a 2.5" round aluminum. There is an enormous amount of chips or stringy fries out in my garage.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  6. Billh50

Billh50 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I haven't had a socket yet that I couldn't mill with HSS endmills. I have milled many different brands to make special sockets. I would think that if it cuts real easy with HSS then you should be able to tap it without a problem. Just don't use a dull tap.

7. davidh

davidh United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

beautiful, sunny, downtown, northwest wisconsin.
    City:
    Maple (near Superior / Duluth)
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

i have turned down many large socket outer diameters for clearance reasons. sharp tools, great results. . .

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  8. firestopper

firestopper H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tucson
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

impact sockets are way softer than chrome sockets as mentioned by others, They tig weld nicely too. (at least the cheap one's do)

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  9. GSWayne

GSWayne United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Santa Barbara
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I have drilled tapped and welded some Thorsen sockets to make die holders. I think they were impact sockets based on the wall thickness.

10. talvare

talvare United States Ted A H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I have made die holders from good quality American made impact sockets. I machined them with HSS tooling and drilled and tapped them as well, without any problems.

Ted

Bob Korves and Tozguy like this.