Import 5c collect chuck question

oogenshire

Registered
Registered
are all the import collet chucks basically the same? look on ebay and they are like 150, look at lost creek machine they are 260, if they are the same i would rather order the cheaper one and spend the difference at lost creek on other bits and pieces im looking for
thanks!

Beware chinese import chucks. Not all are created equal and may be burred and full of machining muck that has not been removed as a way of keeping labour costs down.

Some will not operate well at all unless they are stripped, completely cleaned, degreased and relubed afterwards and even then you may need to debur some of the parts.

Regarding 5C specifically, there are good odds that the taper is not 100% accurate or equal, nor machined well on these so called "cheap" ones being offered. There is usually a reason for that, that reason is usually quality related.

All typical "import anything" where machines / parts are concerned, though doubly so with "cheap" import parts/tools/chucks et-al.

I will say this. Sometimes you pay for a name. Most times, you are paying for the quality.

Heck, I purchased a chuck (a 4 Jaw IP) from a reputable supplier, supposedly of a better quality but even that had one dodgy jaw (replaced free) and it was still burred up and had grinding/sanding/whatever detritus mixed into the lube. That was an hour I wish I could get back!

This video by Clough42 on YouTube will answer your question.

I bought a 5c chuck from Precision Matthews, it was better than the video above, but it still had some of the typical Chinese lack of quality concerns.

This video by Clough42 on YouTube will answer your question.

[ Video link removed ]

I bought a 5c chuck from Precision Matthews, it was better than the video above, but it still had some of the typical Chinese lack of quality concerns.

@Ischgl99 I caught that video at the time it was published. Proves the point about cheap chucks, of any format.

That said, given almost everything is made in china (hence the term "Chinesium"), I would expect nothing less than having to strip and clean any chuck, unless it was of domestic manufacture or from a high quality manufacturer. Bison springs to mind as one such manufacturer. Yes, expensive, but usually that is for a reason.

TBH, I have long looked at Bison Chucks, but not sure I want to spring £400+GBP per chuck unless/until I can check the quality/accuracy for myself. I did **glance** at a 4" (100mm) 5C Bison and at near on £1k GBP I just closed the page out. Not a chance is that happening anytime soon.

Last edited:
There is no comparison between the Chinese chucks and a Bison, Bison wins hands down. In the price range he is considering, there is a bit of difference between the cheapest and the next level up, but both can be a crap shoot.

At 1,000 pounds for the Bison, I wouldn’t be wasting time with a scroll chuck, I would be getting a Sjogren speed chuck.

[snip] [/snip]
At 1,000 pounds for the Bison, I wouldn’t be wasting time with a scroll chuck [snip][/snip]

Lowest I have seen for a Bison 3 Jaw is £525 GBP (shipping included), Lowest I have seen for a Bison 4 Jaw is £456 GBP (Shipping included), Which is why I was surprised that the Bison 5C is near on £1K.

Not above importing to get a chuck, up to a point based on duties ~(Read: Thieving government B£$%^&$"s), which is why I sprang for a 6 Jaw from L.M.S recently. Needed to hold some thinwall tube and my ER collets were with a friend that lives some miles away. Whilst they were recently on holiday (Vacation) I needed them, typical!.

Faster to import the 6 Jaw than wait until friend got back from holiday and the job got done. Still, cost me £275 GBP with import & carriage, but needs dictated my options at the time.

Lowest I have seen for a Bison 3 Jaw is £525 GBP (shipping included), Lowest I have seen for a Bison 4 Jaw is £456 GBP (Shipping included), Which is why I was surprised that the Bison 5C is near on £1K.

Not above importing to get a chuck, up to a point based on duties ~(Read: Thieving government B£$%^&$"s), which is why I sprang for a 6 Jaw from L.M.S recently. Needed to hold some thinwall tube and my ER collets were with a friend that lives some miles away. Whilst they were recently on holiday (Vacation) I needed them, typical!.

Faster to import the 6 Jaw than wait until friend got back from holiday and the job got done. Still, cost me £275 GBP with import & carriage, but needs dictated my options at the time.
I was referring to their scroll collet chucks, but the 5” 3 jaw chuck I have is excellent. I bought it about 20 years ago when they were still reasonably priced. I wanted to get a 6” for my lathe, but the prices now are hard to swallow.

I was referring to their scroll collet chucks, but the 5” 3 jaw chuck I have is excellent. I bought it about 20 years ago when they were still reasonably priced. I wanted to get a 6” for my lathe, but the prices now are hard to swallow.

The prices really are no joke, but if the quality is there and the accuracy is there, what can be complained about? Pay once, cry once.

Beware chinese import chucks. Not all are created equal and may be burred and full of machining muck that has not been removed as a way of keeping labour costs down.

Heck, I purchased a chuck (a 4 Jaw IP) from a reputable supplier, supposedly of a better quality but even that had one dodgy jaw (replaced free) and it was still burred up and had grinding/sanding/whatever detritus mixed into the lube. That was an hour I wish I could get back!

I think a tear down is required for import gear. It takes me a lot more than an hour! I think I spent 8 hours on the Shars 6-jaw, deburring, cleaning, and also making a back plate and anti-rotation clip (threaded spindle nose). In a big shop, that labor might cost 50--100 $/hr. So it's cheaper to buy it ready-to-use.

I think a tear down is required for import gear. It takes me a lot more than an hour! I think I spent 8 hours on the Shars 6-jaw, deburring, cleaning, and also making a back plate and anti-rotation clip (threaded spindle nose). In a big shop, that labor might cost 50--100 $/hr. So it's cheaper to buy it ready-to-use.
True That..

Must admit, I made that golden rule #1. I always strip/clean/degrease/debur/relube/rebuild any form of chuck, cheap or otherwise.

I also got into the habit of flood-lubing chucks on the bench after rebuilding them, wrapping them with a rag held in place with cable (zip) ties, mounting them and spinning them up to fling as much back out as possible (Thanks Adam Savage for that tip). I then re-strip, add a little grease, rebuild, then work the chuck fully closed to fully open a few times. The oil helps the grease stay mobile without thinning it too much.

Back