Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe

7milesup

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, I hope I can do this here and it doesn't come across as an advertisement. As many of you know, one of our members, David P Best, has been toiling over a book that he intends to publish. It is titled "Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe: A User Guide Paperback" . He has completed it and it is available to order from Amazon. I know that David does very fine work, and I would anticipate that this book will be no less of an example of his capability.
I ordered mine last night. Should be here next week. Really looking forward to it.

Reason for Edit: Updated the Amazon link.

Last edited:
Thanks, just ordered a copy on Amazon.

Just got my copy in the mail today. That was quick!
First very initial impression is that this book is nicely done.

Just got my copy in the mail today. That was quick!
First very initial impression is that this book is nicely done.
I looked at it on Amazon and wondered if the content would apply to my lathe.

I’m going to buy it on Friday!

I ordered David's book a number of weeks ago by now, right when it first came out.

I had pretty much zero knowledge of insert tooling with the letters and numbers appearing as a jumbled mess. David walks through different inserts and how to decipher the coding for the inserts and for the tool holders themselves. Part numbers are listed for particular brands of inserts and holders and eBay search keywords. David does not mince words when it comes to his view of cheap Chinese tooling, which is fine. Buy once cry once.
The book is laid out very nicely with references embedded from one chapter to another, a tedious task for sure when writing a book, or lengthy paper for that matter.
A particular highlight of the book is the illustrations. They are superbly done; some of the best I have seen. Also included are reference charts categorized according to AXA, BXA etc sizing.
I have not read all the way through the book because of some time constraints at the moment, but I suspect that I will be utilizing this as reference material down the road.

I looked at it on Amazon and wondered if the content would apply to my lathe.
Yes, absolutely as long as you can utilize square and round shank insert holders ( I don't know what type of tool post you have).

Just ordered one.

looks like a nice book with good information I would put to use. Probably will make better buying choices which will save me money. Hopefully I can resurrect the use of a couple tool holders that are now not used because I used up the inserts and not sure what to buy to replace them. May improve my own tooling if the inserts I use could be better for my purpose. All saves lots of money and gives me better skills.

Always a nice feeling to support a fellow forum member and encourage others to make things we all could use.

Back