Is ebay for Millionaires?

Otherwise, a European style hardness tester. Similar to a Wilson/Instron hardness tester used in North America.

You really have to watch e bay. Prices and shipping. I asked a seller a question and gave my email address and wasbarred from con sting sellers for 10 days.
I’ve spent several thousand through them including one purchase of 10000.00 plus but oh no I was frying to screw them on a 100.00 purchase. For a good laugh look what Tng tool has. Nice stuff, but I guess I have a go.d mine.
Thanks ron

Have you purchased anything from this auction company http://www.1stmachineryauctions.com
No, but now you have said, I am looking! I used to deal in all sorts and visited hundreds of auctions, there has been a massive sea change since nearly all the auction houses have gone online as well as live. my cousin and I , always went to the auctions together, and he attended the First online/in house antique auction in our local town ( well known antique auction house, in Millers etc) and he said there was nearly a riot, dealers who had gone there for years storming out saying they would never come there again, and of course prices went through the roof at first. it has settled a little now, but even their household auctions are also online, but the goods that have gone up and are generally sold to online buyers are usually the easily transported stuff. Brown furniture is dead in the water, you can have your pick of good quality real antique furniture for nowt. My FIL just bought a Queen Anne chest on chest that would have been about £1400 trade, and about £2400 retail ten or so years ago and he paid just £600. transportability means that you cannot buy a good myford (if indeed such an animal exists) for less than £2000, but the Colchesters and Harrisons, which are altogether better lathes but heavy, are still much lower in price. I rarely buy from ebay now, and I hold them entirely responsible for the fact that I still do not have a decent anvil!

Yup, looks good, and prices good too, but as always, transport, and "no loading facilities" the ones that amuse me the most are the aerospace ones like RR where you are not allowed on the site, and they can charge what they like for disconnecting your machine and moving it to a car park!

. transportability means that you cannot buy a good myford (if indeed such an animal exists) for less than £2000, but the Colchesters and Harrisons, which are altogether better lathes but heavy, are still much lower in price. I rarely buy from ebay now, and I hold them entirely responsible for the fact that I still do not have a decent anvil!

Agree 100% Bought my little 11" Colchester (Avatar) on Ebay back in 2005 when Ebay had not yet become 99% e-commerce. It's a whole new animal now. Deals can be had but man you have to be vigilant and hope to get lucky where not many bidders are watching. If an item is desirable, there's always someone ready to pay retail+ just like the in person auctions. Selling? OMG what a pita and they fleece you on fees. On the lathe I bid until it hurt and then some to win it but looking back I am so thankful I did. 12 years on I still have an active search going for this machine and although a few have popped up over the years, all but one looked complete clappers ready for the scrap bin. Someone literally stole it for $2,500 I was a mouse twitch from grabbing it simply for spares and sentimental reasons but at $3k to my driveway with shipping I backed off.

Yup, looks good, and prices good too, but as always, transport, and "no loading facilities" the ones that amuse me the most are the aerospace ones like RR where you are not allowed on the site, and they can charge what they like for disconnecting your machine and moving it to a car park!
Yes, that's what I'm afraid of. I'm in England a little now and then but when you do not know what it takes to get the stuff out

Back