Is it worth saving?

solo

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
The boss got this old CNC out of storage. What he found is, it's worthless. If it had manual speed control, it has a little value. I haven't put power to it yet, not sure if it even works.
We're talking about stripping it for usable parts, then scrap.
He just bought a new 4 axis Hass mill. So I don't see keeping this. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20231013_085152.jpg
    20231013_085152.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 100
I just upgraded the electronics and steppers on a BP. It cost about $500 for the upgrade, and is now a very usable CNC machine.
That machine doesn't appear to be as old as the one I upgraded. Looks like it has a power drawbar, so that it could use BT30 tooling (which is cheap and available), vs the QC30 (I just had to pay $140 for a drill chuck).

I'd definitely try to save it for a home machine.

The boss found it worthless how?
I don’t think my thoughts are valid here really.
But as a hobby machinist, with no repetitive production dreams, it has zero utility to me. Not to mention I haven’t written any g code in 15 years, which was only for school. Then tack on the three or four other skills I’d like to become proficient at (solidworks,auto cad, design, and just regular old machining), I can’t see a way through it.
If you have lots of free time and enjoy figuring out such stuff, and have the space, drag it home.

The boss found it worthless how?
I don’t think my thoughts are valid here really.
But as a hobby machinist, with no repetitive production dreams, it has zero utility to me. Not to mention I haven’t written any g code in 15 years, which was only for school. Then tack on the three or four other skills I’d like to become proficient at (solidworks,auto cad, design, and just regular old machining), I can’t see a way through it.
If you have lots of free time and enjoy figuring out such stuff, and have the space, drag it home.

I am a computer nerd by trade and a wood worker by heart. I have taken up machining to support my old wood working machine habit.

I agree with you, without an operations that need to be repeated over and over again I have been keeping the CNC world out of my shop even though I often drool over them and think of all the cool things I could make if I had one. After spending all day designing and writing code on a computer I like relaxing in my low tech shop. Maybe I will catch the CNC bug if I retire someday?

Isn't the worth of the CNC mill in the original post proportionate to how good of shape the bones of the mill are? It looks like it has the potential to be in pretty good shape instead of worn past its working life. It also looks like it isn't massive which most hobbyists prefer. But I would guess if you look at the original cost of the machine it being worth $1K - $2K to a hobbyist might be considered nothing?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. The boss is thinking of taking it home. It does look a nice machine, chrome ways, and pretty clean.
He bought a series 2 back when he was in high school, it's in the shop still being used.
I ran a CNC plasma table at my last job for 8 yrs, programing the mill is completely different,
When I find time, I'll play around and see what I can do.
The shop is mostly fabrication now. Just starting up a machine shop. He does own another shop about 1 1/2 hrs away all, CNC.
Their busy all the time. Time will tell what happens for this shop. I'm the only one with experience.
I have a couple of guys that have expressed a desire to learn machining, so that's good.

Isn't the worth of the CNC mill in the original post proportionate to how good of shape the bones of the mill are?
Well I just answered from my viewpoint. It’s worth nothing to me, because I have no use for it, nor any efficient means of transport, nor space, nor interest. Lol
But I would guess if you look at the original cost of the machine it being worth $1K - $2K to a hobbyist might be considered nothing?
It’s worth as you refer to money value could be much greater than nothing. Depending on whether or not you can find buyers in an acceptable time frame.

I just approached the question as a dude who piddles around in his garage with no great need for accuracy, or interest in resale or production machining.

I still want to know why the boss said it’s worthless.

But it looks like the OP is asking if it’s worth something as an income generator in a business. I have no idea, but if it was in storage, it was probably broken down when they put it there.

Where I work, we have two Bridgeport EZ-Trak mills. Newer machines than shown in this thread, built in the '80's, but NOT new by any modern perspective. One is three axis CNC and the other two. Both were broke, so I brought in a company to fix them, which they did, but cost us a few grand to do so. One of them needed a couple of control boards, which had to be ordered by a company that refurbishes them. Apparently, new boards are no longer being made. It seems that we went through a similar process about five years ago. All good now, but these machines may not be worth the repair expense in the future, next time they take a dump. Bottom line, unless you get lucky, and the machine works, which is unlikely, it will need a new control system. Fixing the old one looks like a lost cause...unless you get it for your garage, and have the time to invest in searching for parts. A better plan would be to install a more modern control system. That wouldn't be worth the expense from a business perspective, but again, may it would be for a hobbiest.

I'll repeat. This is a newer system than the Bridgeport Boss I just finished upgrading. New closed loop steppers with twice the torque of the originals. New controller. New software. It is a learning curve. No doubt. But, manual machining doesn't give you the opportunity to engrave lettering in tools, like the combo wrench I made for my 1941 vintage lathe.

This machine would have had a Bejur automatic oiler. I'd bet good money that the ways still have the flaking. The bonus with this one over mine is that it looks like it has integrated MPGs. You'd be able to treat it like a manual mill for a quick one off, and still have the CNC capability.

Back