Is The Andrychow Lathe A Good Brand. Newb 1st Real Lathe Q.

countryguy

Active User
Registered
I think I accidently posted a long version on the missing mfr by name forum. meant to put it here as I could not find a general large lathe spot either really?
Ok, the Q:
I asked my buddy who's a lathe addict to find a good 1st lathe for my Son and I. He is selling me this lathe (1200) I cannot seem to find much info on this line of lathes from Andreychow. Wondering what the 'turning' crowd thinks of them? It is a Polish Andrychow, top of the line and of good size. It's a 17/24 x60
I see some vid's w/ a "tug" moniker on them... But am totally lost as to what that even means?
Lathe.jpg

Here is a pic., Again, sorry if this is a dup post. Will try to edit the other one down.
tx everyone!
CG and Son.

Attachments

• toolmex andrychow brochure.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
You do realize that you just opened the door for a lot of "Polish lathe jokes".......:encourage:

Hi everyone... She's sitting in the Hotel lot. Heading home tomorrow after work. Here are some pics. It needs jaws. but has a flood pump, does metric or standard. (so I'm told). The front plate is totally worn... The gearbox has what seem like pop out gears? You guys are always posting about lathe gears- So I assume you can swap them in/out for speeds and such???? Youtube lathe/turn instruction vids- Here I come!

What am I looking for on this? Overall, it really looks in good shape. comments welcome please.
IMG_0087-SMALL.jpg IMG_0089-small.jpg IMG_0090-small.jpg IMG_0095-small.jpg IMG_0097-small-a.jpg IMG_0098-small.jpg IMG_0099-small (1).jpg

Way to go, you are off to a great start. Did you also get a box of additional bits and pieces? Pieces such as the large wrench for loosening the collar in behind the chuck, the chuck wrench, the jaw tops, tail stock tooling, or tools to go in the turret. Perhaps a 4 jaw chuck and even a face plate? The list goes on and on and on . . . . .

The chucks with 2 piece jaws are nice, as you can easily get soft jaws and machine them for a perfect fit on certain jobs. Of course you want to have the original hard jaws too.

Those end gears are intended to be changable to allow you to cut different thread pitches. You have a quick change threading/feed gear box (which is certainly nice to have) and it gives you about 40 choices - by changing the end gear ratio, you can obtain a different set choices - recommend the manual in selecting the correct gears to obtain the choices you want to have. The standard set likely covers most of the threads you will cut (I have only had to swap my gears out to achieve a different pitch exactly one time). If the machine has an imperial lead screw, then imperial threading is a snap - metric not so much (you'd need to get those extra gear sets to get a useful selection of metric pitches).

Coolant pump? Not a bad thing to have but many folks (myself included) find that coolant is a pain to manage and one can get very good results with out using coolant.

The fun has just begun!

Back