Is there a downside to putting the longest linear scale that will fit on a machine ?

maxime.levesque

Registered
Registered
Is there a downsize in having them as long as the space available on the machine, even if twice as long as travel length ?

I'm about to order scales are for my small mill, and if I ever get a bigger mill, and the scales are long enough, I might have the option to transplant the scales.

For example, my mill only has 220mm of Y axis, but there is enough space to put a AKM-420 on it.

Waiting for mine to arrive (16-18-38") and my my plan is to let them run long on my 11x54 mill. Mike

For example, my mill only has 220mm of Y axis, but there is enough space to put a AKM-420 on it.
If that is without overhanging the ends of the table I see no issue with the install and/or use.

But you’re guaranteeing yourself these scales will be a sure fit for a machine you haven’t purchased yet, which is problematic IMO.

What the difference in cost between the scales would be is the question, and the amount you stand to lose if things don’t work out long term.

I'm looking at the Aikron scales, and their price doesn't change with the length. so the extra length is free.

For scales with prices proportional to length, you have a point.

If that is without overhanging the ends of the table I see no issue with the install and/or use.

But you’re guaranteeing yourself these scales will be a sure fit for a machine you haven’t purchased yet, which is problematic IMO.

What the difference in cost between the scales would be is the question, and the amount you stand to lose if things don’t work out long term.

Back