Is there a trigonometry solution to this question?

If I were doing it I would place a test piece in the chuck. Measure the amount you want to take off with the DRO And score a line. Then turn the compound to 35* similar to when making a taper for a dead center and zero the cross slide. Slowly remove material until you reach the score line.

Set the carriage stop at this point and note how far you’ve moved the carriage in the Y direction. If the parts are all the same length and diameter the bevels should be identical.

I would first make all the parts, make all parts the same length and than make the bevels.

Place the part in the chuck so that the back of the part is at the back of the chuck. A light tap with a soft hammer will place the part accurately in position. Face the part to the required length. You can take the part out of the chuck to measure the length. If you use the same cutting depth for each part the length of the parts should be the same within 0.001". After the first part, you only have to measure the part after facing.

Use the same procedure to make the bevel on all parts equal in length.

Ischgl99 and Alexander,​

You guys are way smarter than i am.

I need to watch Joe's video. He is always a treat!!

If I were doing it I would place a test piece in the chuck. Measure the amount you want to take off with the DRO And score a line. Then turn the compound to 35* similar to when making a taper for a dead center and zero the cross slide. Slowly remove material until you reach the score line.

Set the carriage stop at this point and note how far you’ve moved the carriage in the Y direction. If the parts are all the same length and diameter the bevels should be identical.
Whoa, that's simple enough!!

All done.
Some great ideas that I will put to use on the next batch.
I was told he goes through several sets a month.
Here is six sets with the sample.
$600 to me :)
The material is less than $16 per set.
I got the time down to less than an hour per set and I am running the saw while I’m on the lathe.

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpeg
    IMG_0475.jpeg
    534.1 KB · Views: 13
RJ came up with .393".
Maybe I'm not understanding this. Wouldn't be the first time. :)
Pontiac480 is measuring across the face. This is what you would do if you didn't have a DRO and used the cross feed dial, feeding in on the x axis. I was suggesting using the carriage along with the DRO to feed with the z axis They give the same result.

Pontiac480 is measuring across the face. This is what you would do if you didn't have a DRO and used the cross feed dial, feeding in on the x axis. I was suggesting using the carriage along with the DRO to feed with the z axis They give the same result.
Thank you RJ

Back