Is This A Static Converter?

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
After work on Friday I picked up a 1944 JD Wallace 10" Universal Saw with the original 3ph 3hp 220v motor, fence and miter gage. Table is rusty but the motor purrs.

The man I got her from never had her plugged in because shes 3ph, he just got tired of pushing it around his pole barn. Between the dark, the rusty top, and the unknown electrical status, it was an unknown if she would be operable.

Got her home and off the truck. Was cleaning out the saw dust bin and found the "can" as seen in the pic attached.

I'm wondering if this is a static converter. I've never used one, nor had a look at one. Other than markings on the cover which say 3hp I don't know what else she could be.

Any suggestions on wiring? This would save me running 3ph to the wood shop.

Thanks,
Daryl
MN

image1.JPG

Yep, that's a static phase converter! Might be a little light for a table saw. But before you take my word, give her a try.

5ffa9f6a555add9b62b92d026d82c81d.jpg7aeb98bfc293bc7d8d2a5fcc22194f4b.jpg

What's really messing me up is the male plug wired into the mix.

Daryl
MN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5ffa9f6a555add9b62b92d026d82c81d.jpg

7aeb98bfc293bc7d8d2a5fcc22194f4b.jpg

I see only a starting capacitor. It will probably get the motor going but with less than half of rated power.

it's got a resistor and a taped up doohickey that signals the potential relay, aparently

The green thing is a light.
I got that figured out.

If I add another capacitor is it likely to be safer and more effective?

Daryl
MN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back