Is This Mill Right ?????

I really think the wipers, stops, etc., are installed as the mill was originally designed and would work fine if the head wasn’t extended from the column by the tilting mechanism. Like I said earlier, looks like the tilting feature was an afterthought. Or maybe "after-non-thought" would be a more accurate term? o_O

Tom

Last edited:
Yup, something's wrong, with the limit switch against the stop, that design needs attention.

On further inspection and a little googling, I'm not so sure it's a design flaw after all. The table pivots horizontally left and right around center. Similar to a mill vise with a rotating base. See the circular track in front of the base of the table in the second pic in post #1? Perhaps that had some influence on the Y-axis travel limits?

I may not be as smart as I thought I was. I hate it when that happens.

Tom

Edit: Found this unit sold on ebay.

$(KGrHqMOKpwFHc(3JijLBR+162sqRg~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:
The guy that designed the mill didn't get to assemble or use it. It looks good. The guy who sold it to you needs to get involved. The machine has good features but it has some bugs to work out.

On further inspection and a little googling, I'm not so sure it's a design flaw after all. The table pivots horizontally left and right around center. Similar to a mill vise with a rotating base. See the circular track in front of the base of the table in the second pic in post #1? Perhaps that had some influence on the Y-axis travel limits?
I saw that track (as well as the recessed bolts) right away. This is what's called a "universal" mill. Nevertheless, it looks like they cobbled together the universal feature and some other stuff with no regard for how that would affect the Y travel (and/or other stuff, like the off-center location of the X travel limit switch, also in the second photo). Nice try, but as others have pointed out, a failure.

Don't confuse inexperience/ignorance with stupidity. The only reason I caught the "universal" feature is that I saw it in a thread here about a year or so ago. Never knew about it until then. Shucks, if we weren't here to learn, this would be a pretty boring forum!

Hi
If the mill head was a WMD45 like this one it would fit the Mill,

wmd 45.jpg

Tom

Edit: Found this unit sold on ebay.

Hi
Was the mill in the UK, i think it is the same one, that was on sale last year, & i missed.
I cannot see if the block is lower in the photo

Back